How to upgrade from Plex Media Server to Plexpass version in iocage?

Stranded Camel

Explorer
I followed the guide here for installing Plex in an iocage jail, and it worked just fine. I'm considering getting a Plex Pass, though, and that requires a different server program to use it. So what is the recommended way to switch from plexmediaserver to plexmediaserver-plexpass without losing settings, media scan info, downloads, etc.? It took my machine ~48 hours to scan everything, and it's still doing deep analysis (whatever that is) and other things, so I really don't want to start from scratch.

1. Remove plexmediaserver first and then install plexmediaserver-plexpass?

2. Install plexmediaserver-plexpass side by side with plexmediaserver and then uninstsall plexmediaserver?

3. Or install plexmediaserver-plexpass in addition to plexmediaserver and have them both running? (like some mobile apps have you install an addition app to get "pro" features).

m0nkey_

MVP
You'd need to remove plexmediaserver and install the Plex pass version. You can keep the same metadata by setting the plexmediaserver_support_path (may be different in the Plex pass version) to what the previous version of Plex was using in the rc.conf.

Stranded Camel

Explorer
You'd need to remove plexmediaserver and install the Plex pass version. You can keep the same metadata by setting the plexmediaserver_support_path (may be different in the Plex pass version) to what the previous version of Plex was using in the rc.conf.

Much obliged!

Cronus94

Dabbler
So what is the recommended way to switch from plexmediaserver to plexmediaserver-plexpass without losing settings, media scan info, downloads, etc.?

Did you get this to work? I too need to download the plex pass version but don't want to have to start from scratch and lose all my data for what's watched and what's not for all users.

If you did can you be detailed on what steps you took as I'm fairly new to this.
Thanks in advance.

saviodesign

Dabbler
The items below are standard for a "warden" jail, but should apply to "iocage" or other jailed process

Upgrade from Plex Public to Plex Pass and keep old Metadata

Warden jails only

Find your server jail by name
Type: jls
JID IP Address Hostname Path
1 Plex /mnt/server/container/Plex

jexec Plex tcsh

Note: If using iocage or other jailed process, skip the previous items and

mkdir /tmp

Stop Plex Media services:
service plexmediaserver stop

Backup up your Plex metadata to a local folder in the jail using Zip/Tar - Might be very large depending on the size of your Plex database

cd /var/db/plexdata/
tar -czvf plexbackup.tar.gz Plex\ Media\ Server

Note: default location for plexpublic is ${JAIL_ROOT}/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/

Move the zipped file to a place you can access later and change file permissions:
mv plexbackupdata.tar /tmp/plexbackupdata.tar
chmod 750 /tmp/plexbackupdata.tar

Remove Plex Service and kill auto-start:
pkg remove plexmediaserver
sysrc -x plexmediaserver_enable

Install Plex Pass and set to auto-start :
pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass
sysrc plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable=YES

Create new metadata by starting and stopping Plex Pass service:
service plexmediaserver_plexpass start
service plexmediaserver_plexpass stop

Restore the backup meatadata :
mv /plexbackupdata.tar.gz /usr/local/plexdata-plexpass
cd /usr/local/plexdata-plexpass
tar -xzvf plexbackupdata.tar.gz

Start Plex with old Plex Database items intact:
service plexmediaserver_plexpass start

Note: This will prevent you from having to recreate the database from scratch and save you a massive amount of time and data

Last edited:

saviodesign

Dabbler
Did you get this to work? I too need to download the plex pass version but don't want to have to start from scratch and lose all my data for what's watched and what's not for all users.

If you did can you be detailed on what steps you took as I'm fairly new to this.
Thanks in advance.
I wrote some steps for you and many other novice users ( I've been in your shoes and feel your pain), hopefully, this helps, and please pay it forward

Last edited:

_Alchemist_

Dabbler
Backup up your Plex metadata to a local folder in the jail using Zip/Tar - Might be very large depending on the size of your Plex database

cd /var/db/plexdata/

for some reason, the folder "plexdata" does not exist in the folder "db"

( \iocage\jails\plex\root\var\db\plexdata )

if i try to cd /var/db/plexdata/ i get /var/db/plexdata/: No such file or directory.

mkdir /tmp

also if i try to mkdir /tmp it says mkdir: /tmp: File exists

am i doing something wrong?

dureal99d

Contributor
for some reason, the folder "plexdata" does not exist in the folder "db"

( \iocage\jails\plex\root\var\db\plexdata )

if i try to cd /var/db/plexdata/ i get /var/db/plexdata/: No such file or directory.

also if i try to mkdir /tmp it says mkdir: /tmp: File exists

am i doing something wrong?
in the case of warden jails
/mnt/yourdrivepoolname/jails/name of plex jail/usr/local/plexdata

in the case of iocage jails
/mnt/iocage/jails/yourjailname/root/usr/local/plexdata

is where your data should be

_Alchemist_

Dabbler
No idea why, but in my entire iocage directory is not a single folder called "plexdata"

But since I've set up the server only a week ago the metadata isn't so important

I think I'll just start from scratch again

Anyway, thanks for the answer ;^)

nojohnny101

Wizard
I had the hardest time finding my database in my old warden jail. Ending up being this for me:
/mnt/tank/jail/plex/usr/local/plexdata-plexpass/Plex\ Media\ Server/

dureal99d

Contributor
No idea why, but in my entire iocage directory is not a single folder called "plexdata"

But since I've set up the server only a week ago the metadata isn't so important

thats weird did you enter the full path?

dureal99d

Contributor

the plexdata-plexpass or plexmediaserver folder should have presented itself and contained within Plex\ Media\ Server/

_Alchemist_

Dabbler
thats weird did you enter the full path?
The Path of my Plex Media Server Folder is "Z:\iocage\jails\plex\root\Plex Media Server" :)

zachsteffens

Cadet
I got this working awhile back and it's been great, but I'm not able to update the plexpass version.

I've tried
Code:
iocage console Plexpass
pkg update && pkg upgrade

and it tells me my packages are up to date but i'm still 2 major versions behind (1.16)

Spiceman

Dabbler
I got this working awhile back and it's been great, but I'm not able to update the plexpass version.

I've tried
Code:
iocage console Plexpass
pkg update && pkg upgrade

and it tells me my packages are up to date but i'm still 2 major versions behind (1.16)

This is probably because the default configuration of pkg is for the quarterly branch. If you want the latest you need to create an override so it pulls the latest repository. See this link:https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/sorta-fresh-plex-in-iocage.60000/page-2#post-458489

Hawkins

Dabbler
I want to clarify if the above instructions still work. I upgraded to PlexPass many months ago and am looking to upgrade to PlexPass on the server. I use the iocages. Do I just need to follow the steps outlined above by saviodesign? Any changes? Words of wisdom? I am nervous as I have an extension library and don't want to lose my metadata.

saviodesign

Dabbler
I want to clarify if the above instructions still work. I upgraded to PlexPass many months ago and am looking to upgrade to PlexPass on the server. I use the iocages. Do I just need to follow the steps outlined above by saviodesign? Any changes? Words of wisdom? I am nervous as I have an extension library and don't want to lose my metadata.

Back up your Metadata first ( I usually do this before a manual upgrade or jail rebuild)

Hawkins

Dabbler
Back up your Metadata first ( I usually do this before a manual upgrade or jail rebuild)
I am somewhat of a FreeNAS and server "noob" compared to other users. How do I backup the metadata? Is it this:

cd /var/db/plexdata/

saviodesign

Dabbler
Yes.

Then you need to move it to an easy to find area within the jail like /tmp.
Remove and reinstall Plex (not the jail, just the application)
Start Plex service
Stop Plex service
mv and untar the DB in the original Parent folder

If replacing the entire jail, be sure to exit the jail after backing up the Plex DB then navigate to jail location from the Host OS, and move the backup to an easily accessible area OUTSIDE of the jail.

I'll build and link new instructions for this in a bit.

saviodesign

Dabbler
I am somewhat of a FreeNAS and server "noob" compared to other users. How do I backup the metadata? Is it this:

cd /var/db/plexdata/

Safer instructions as long as you understand how/why you're navigating in an out of jails

Try this out:
Complete Plex New Jail (w/backup) Rebuild Instructions