Volume Manager cannot see hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

reef

Cadet
Hi
I have just setup FreeNAS for the first time and have searched the forums and cannot find an answer to my problem. So I apologise in advance if this is a typical newbie question.

FreeNAS boots OK off my hard drives. I can see the drives in View Disks and also from the command line if I run cam control devlist and gpartshow.

But when go into Volume Manager it cannot find any drives upon which to set up volumes.

I am using a Dell PowerEdge T20 with 2 x Seagate 6 TB ST6000DM004 BarraCuda Pro 3.5 drives.

All RAID functionality is turned off in the BIOS.

Thank you

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Did you install FreeNAS to your hard drives?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Having installed FreeNAS to the disks that are supposed to be your data disks is the reason for your problem. While you are at it read also the Hardware Recommendations in the manual. Use either a SSD (preferred) or a mirror of two USB sticks for booting.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Thank you. I completely missed that. Told you I was a newbie LoL Is that what is causing the problem or is it just generally a bad idea?
Your boot device has to be separate from your data disks. Make sure you wipe those disks before you try to use them in your machine after you get it up and running with a new boot device.

reef

Cadet
Thank you for the swift advice. I threw another drive in and re-installed Freenas and everything is now OK. Now to get to grips with the rest of the setup LoL
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.