Cannot see "mirror" option in ZFS Volume Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzak

Dabbler
Hi everyone...noob here, tried to search on google and manual but nothing help me.

I've installed Freenas 9.1.1 and trying to create ZFS RAID1 on my two drives SATA 250 and 500 GB.
In the ZFS volume manager I see my two drives but dragging the icon only one disk is selected and in the drop down menu i cannot see "mirror" option

19d6.png

Otherwise in "UFS volume manager" once selected my two drives mirror options appears and let me create a 250gb raid1 volume as normal.

Any suggestions.
Thanks in advance

gpsguy

As you've found out, you can't do it from the GUI in 9.x. It's a new feature that won't allow one to use different sized drives. Even if they were different by a 1/10 of a gigabyte.

The easiest thing to do would be to install 8.3 and do it from there. Otherwise you'd have to do all the work from the command line. Doing it from the webgui is safer in the long run.

After you add the mirror, switch back to 9.1.1. If you don't upgrade the pool (in 9.x), you can switch back and forth from 8.3 and 9.x, if the need arises.

muzak

Dabbler
Thank you for answer.

I wonder why this option is no more avaible...safe or performance reason?
In freenas 9.1.1 manual I can't find nothing about "same size disk warning".

Anyway, I'll get a try to this annoying OS switching
Thanks

gpsguy

The ZFS Volume Manager is designed to prevent users from inadvertantly creating non-optimal pools. Users who are determined to do so can still use the command line to create their pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.