VNC display issue with Debian 10 as VM

Apollo

Wizard
I just upgraded to Freenas-11.2-U6 from FreeNAS-11.2-U5 and I wanted to install Debian 10 as VM.
The issue I am experiencing is the inability of displaying content appropriately which render the installation process impossible.

On a backside note, when I did try to follow the same steps with Debian 9 on FreeNAS-11.2-U5 and possibly prior Ux, I had the same behavior but only on the first screen.
Passing the first screen would be followed by an intelligible display.
However Debian 10 is a fail.
Any subsequent screens will have the same Interlacing or skewed screen issue rendering installation impossible.

I have the ISO file stored in one of my dataset. The command and filename I used is as follow:

fetch https://caesar.ftp.acc.umu.se/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-dvd/debian-10.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso

Can someone confirm if this behavior can be replicated and provide guidance eitherway?

This is running on my Threadripper 1900X system with 2048 MB RAM allocated and 2 CPU for the VM (1 CPU and 512 MB default lead to the same outcome).

PS: Did a search on Google and ended up with the exact same issue reported on the Bug system:

https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/27963

PS: Found this post soon after:
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/scrambled-screen-in-vnc-to-vm.78729/

Running on a 4K system I only tried 640*480 and 1920x1080. Overall 7 resolution are available.

At 800*600 it works.

Attachments

• First screen.png
    First screen.png
    127 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

colmconn

Contributor
I installed a buster (Debian 10) VM last week and had this issue. The solution is to set the VNC resolution to 800x600 and then the web-based VNC works well.

KrisBee

Wizard
@Apollo Long standing problem with debian installer and bhyve. Just use the 800x600 resolution to install. As you are using a desktop iso, I assume you intend using a graphical interface, so you're probably better off installing vnv /x11vnc server on the VM itself in order to connect to your debian 10 VM from a suitable vnc client. For a server VM, I'd stick to using ssh post install.

Apollo

Wizard
@Apollo Long standing problem with debian installer and bhyve. Just use the 800x600 resolution to install. As you are using a desktop iso, I assume you intend using a graphical interface, so you're probably better off installing vnv /x11vnc server on the VM itself in order to connect to your debian 10 VM from a suitable vnc client. For a server VM, I'd stick to using ssh post install.
I am actually not too sure how to set it up right now, the intent is to install a LAMP environment for my MySQL database. I did fiddle with this a few month back on Debian 9 but gave up due to some issues with accessing the database content when VM is no longer working. I need to explore this solution indepth.