SOLVED FreeNAS 11 Trying to run a debian VM, no dice (vnc issues).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berghopper

Cadet
So my first problem was not having virtualization enabled in uefi (derp). However, I presumably have everything set up correctly now, a VM with 1 core, 2000mb of ram. Added a zvol and cd drive for the iso. I can start the VM but cannot connect to the vnc. I have tried both centOS and debian. I have tried multiple vnc clients. I have tried running a second vm because in freenas11 the first one would be "broken?". Anyhow, I'm lost, can't get anything to work and I really want to configure some stuff this weekend.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 1600
Asus b350-plus
2x4tb WD Reds
2x128gb Sandisk ssds
Antec 530W power supply
gt710
16gb balistix RAM

jchworth

Cadet
1) Did you add a "VNC" device to the VM guest?
2) Are you running the VM guest in standard UEFI mode? UEFI-CSM gives an error about VNC not available in this mode.
3) Check your quality settings on the VNC client. My experience is that the default Remmina settings for VNC on Mint fails. I needed to create a new connection and increase to resolution and quality settings.
4) Possible stupid question but as you ahnven't mentioned it, are you connecting VNC to guest's IP address or the host's IP address? You need to connect to the host's IP address on the port specified in the VNC device.
5) Please provide screenshot of VM definitions with VMs started.
6) Please provide screenshot of VM device configuration

Berghopper

Cadet
1) Did you add a "VNC" device to the VM guest?
2) Are you running the VM guest in standard UEFI mode? UEFI-CSM gives an error about VNC not available in this mode.
3) Check your quality settings on the VNC client. My experience is that the default Remmina settings for VNC on Mint fails. I needed to create a new connection and increase to resolution and quality settings.
4) Possible stupid question but as you ahnven't mentioned it, are you connecting VNC to guest's IP address or the host's IP address? You need to connect to the host's IP address on the port specified in the VNC device.
5) Please provide screenshot of VM definitions with VMs started.
6) Please provide screenshot of VM device configuration

So the problem was me running 11.1 RC-3 and experiencing this here bug:

https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/26990

I reinstalled everything onto 11.1 U4, no issues so far. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.