VMware ESXi 7 + iSCSI MP + ALUA Errors

jasinc81

Cadet
Good morning! I have been testing TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02-RC.1-2 this past weekend on a system that I did an in-place upgrade from Core 12.0-UP6. I had 2 iSCSI LUNS presented to my ESXi cluster using this user-defined claim rule:

Code:
esxcli storage nmp satp rule add -s "VMW_SATP_ALUA" -V "TrueNAS" -M "iSCSI Disk" -P "VMW_PSP_RR" -O "iops=1" -e "TrueNAS iSCSI Claim Rule"

After upgrading to SCALE, my devices would no longer connect to my ESXi hosts, and would present this error in the vmkernel.log:

Code:
WARNING: NMP: nmp_SatpClaimPath:2193: SATP "VMW_SATP_ALUA" could not add  path "vmhba66:C1:T1:L10" for device "Unregistered Device". Error Not supported
WARNING: NMP: nmp_DeviceAlloc:2185: nmp_AddPathToDevice failed Not supported (195887136).
WARNING: NMP: nmp_DeviceAlloc:2205: Could not allocate NMP device.
WARNING: ScsiPath: 8604: Plugin 'NMP' had an error (Not supported) while claiming path 'vmhba66:C1:T1:L10'. Skipping the path.
ScsiClaimrule: 2039: Plugin NMP specified by claimrule 65535 was not able to claim path vmhba66:C1:T1:L10: Busy

I was able to get it to register if I remove the claim rule and create a new claim rule using VMW_SATP_DEFAULT_AA. I searched through the release notes, and couldn't find anything regarding ALUA and VMware support, but is this going to be introduced in later releases? Or will this be a paid/enterprise feature? Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

Thanks for the help/guidance!

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
TrueNAS CORE and Enterprise used FreeBSD iSCSI that had been heavily customized for trueNAS and have been through VMware certification. They are very stable.

TrueNAS SCALE is a new iSCSI stack....it hasn't gone through certification.

I would stay on CORE/Enterprise for this application, unless you have a specific need for SCALE or want to help us with development and testing..

jasinc81

Cadet
TrueNAS CORE and Enterprise used FreeBSD iSCSI that had been heavily customized for trueNAS and have been through VMware certification. They are very stable.

TrueNAS SCALE is a new iSCSI stack....it hasn't gone through certification.

I would stay on CORE/Enterprise for this application, unless you have a specific need for SCALE or want to help us with development and testing..
Thanks for the clarification, that's what I figured. However, I couldn't find anything in the release notes or documentation referencing that. This is a test box for me, so I'm more than happy to help with testing. Since I ran an upgrade from Core, do you think there may need to be some mention of iSCSI config in VMware breaking if using ALUA from Core? I did see the mention of Jails, which I wasn't using, but that might be a good FYI for those wanting to test Scale.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It will get more lab testing prior to the February Release.... I'll check on how we can improve documentation.

5mall5nail5

Dabbler
Did you ever find anything out about this? I had a TrueNAS Core setup working fine, upgraded to TrueNAS Scale, my iSCSI targets were up until I rebooted. I am thinking it's claim rule based but my paths to the devices are down.

So removing my claim rule brought the paths back up after a reboot. I set the iops policy to 1 manually on the NAA's. Testing now.

Last edited:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Did you ever find anything out about this? I had a TrueNAS Core setup working fine, upgraded to TrueNAS Scale, my iSCSI targets were up until I rebooted. I am thinking it's claim rule based but my paths to the devices are down.

I'd suggest starting a new thread with full details.