VM to get multiple apps through 1 gpu

indivinity

Cadet
So, I have been tinkering with Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, and now finally Tdarr to reduce the space of my media folder and it seems allocating my GTX 1660 super to multiple apps through the allocate gpu dropdown in cobia is still unsupported (using truecharts or the community version of either plex or tdarr).

What I was wondering and confused about is why multiple docker apps can't share the gpu at all like processes on windows. I imagine I could just use a Windows VM and install Tdarr, Plex, qBitt, Sonarr, and Radarr AND use a VPN without having to go through port forwarding to solve this problem but is this really the way? I just don't want to have to go out and get ANOTHER gpu to run just transcodes and if this knocks out the VPN issue too (was planning to switch to AirVPN) then great.

I mean ideally, I would want to run these natively off truenas scale for ease of updates, modularity of apps, and isolation but if the feature is coming soon like I'm inclined to believe (because I see the option to allocate 5 separate vGPU portions though it doesn't work yet) then i'm also fine waiting.

indivinity

Cadet
The other way I've thought to combat this is to just upgrade my CPU to a ryzen 7 5700g and do Tdarr transcodes off of my gpu and run plex streaming transcodes off CPU and AMD VCE (iGPU) but this only defers the problem farther down the line for if whatever reason another app wants to make use of one of my GPUs. I'm just trying to take advantage of the compute that isn't being used when streaming.

Any creative solutions much appreciated.