VIMAGE, is it necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STREBLO

Patron
I'm currently running a bunch of different jails on my network all with individual static IP's. I know one of the reasons VIMAGE is used is so the jails are able to use DHCP and obtain their own IP's since they have a full network stack. I'm not using DHCP do I need to use it?

Since VIMAGE is a new technology and brings along all sorts of different things I'm not actually using I would rather simply switch to not using it. Since this will make me unable to set up MAC address how would the jails appear on the network anyway?

Sakuru

Guru
VIMAGE is required if you want the jail to have its own IP address. Otherwise it shares the host's address.

STREBLO

Patron
VIMAGE is required if you want the jail to have its own IP address. Otherwise it shares the host's address.
Can't you give it a static ip of its own without VIMAGE?

Sakuru

Guru
Oh yeah, I remember how this works. You give the jail its own IP address, but without VIMAGE it shares ports with the host. That means if you tried to create a web server jail without VIMAGE it would conflict with FreeNAS's management interface. It also means you can't use the same port on 2 different jails. It's kinda weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.