Transmission plugin not visible with VIMAGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_jest

Explorer
There have been a few threads about this, but nothing has helped.

I'm running the Transmission plugin in FreeNAS 9.10.2-U3, with appropriate hardware, memory, etc. I need to use VIMAGE because I'm also running OpenVPN and an ipfw firewall in the jail.

The plugin is not visible in the plugin list on the left, and I thus can't make any configuration changes, and the plugin won't start. The logs show:

Code:
freenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:577] Couldn't retrieve http://192.168.1.25/plugins/transmission/2/_s/treemenu: HTTP Error 503: OK

(where that IP address is the address of my FreeNAS server)

If I try to start Transmission from the Installed Plugins list, I just get "Some error occurred".

Shutting off VIMAGE in the jail _does_ make the plugin visible and startable, but then I can't use the VPN/firewall. I don't have any particularly complicated network setup otherwise; the Transmission jail is on the same subnet, 192.168.1.26; I'm not using NAT; I haven't engaged any other networking options in the jail config; etc. (I did try to remove the 255.255.255.0 netmask, per the User Guide for VIMAGE in jails, but it reappears by itself.) Shutting off OpenVPN and the firewall in the jail has no effect, so it's not just a wrongly configured firewall.

Anyone have any thoughts? Happy to provide more information, if I've left anything out.

the_jest

Explorer
Following up, having read even more stuff, trying a bunch of things, and still being stuck: This behavior is consistent, even when rebuilding the pluginjail from scratch. If I don't have VIMAGE set, then tun0 doesn't get created and OpenVPN can't connect. If I do set VIMAGE, then there is a tun0, OpenVPN works, but I can't reach my FreeNAS box from my jail, and vice-versa, with all of the resulting issues.

I've got to assume that I'm doing something wrong, or it's conflicting with something else, because if VIMAGE didn't allow the jail to talk to the main machine, this fact would be mentioned all over the place.

Grateful for any advice! Thanks.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Do you have your default gateway set? People have vimage problems all the time but no one can debug it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

the_jest

Explorer
Yes, I've tried to set the default gateway as both the normal gateway for my network, and to the address of the FreeNAS; neither works.

Is there some other way to accomplish this, if vimage is so dodgy? I'd have thought that having a jail be able to network, would be an extremely basic and important requirement....

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Vimage is not dodgy it's just people specific networks. Someone people have success with it on but not off and then some need it off. It's a gamble. My network works fine with both so u have a hard time helping people with vimage.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.