Jail networking not working with VIMAGE enabled for some jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjaylward

Dabbler
Build FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606270534 (dd17351)
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2603 0 @ 1.80GHz
Memory 65474MB

I have 8 jails total. The first 7 are all working fine with VIMAGE enabled. The 8th jail I tried to used VIMAGE as well, but I can't seem to get the networking to work properly on it. When VIMAGE is active, I can't seem to ping the jail from other machines or download large files (like `portsnap fetch extract` or even `pkg upgrade`) from within the jail.

The jail is brand new (I deleted it about 3 times already and recreated it). Once I disabled VIMAGE on the single faulty jail, ping suddenly worked, and now I can run `pkg upgrade` successfully.

Does anyone know why this would be the case? Is there a hard limit in FreeBSD/FreeNAS for the number of jails that can have their own network stack? I don't feel like 8 jails is a lot, I'm sure there are people running more than that without issue.

Is there a good way to debug the issue to see why VIMAGE isn't working?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Interesting! I'm having a similar problem on one of my jails (which hasn't been a big priority), but hadn't thought of unchecking VIMAGE to see if it helps.

adrianwi

Guru
Were the other jails created in 9.3.x?

I had some similar behaviour when I was test upgrading FreeNAS 9.3.1 to 9.10 in a VM.

I've currently got 17 jails configured (14 running) without any issues, although I'm still on 9.3.1.

johnjaylward

Dabbler
When I upgraded from 9.3 to 9.10 I deleted all my jails and remade them since there was no clear way to upgrade the jail kernels from 9.3 to 10.x. This is the only one causing me an issue.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Very interesting. I unchecked VIMAGE for the problematic jail, restarted it, and then was able to do pkg upgrade without issues, when previously it had reliably failed. So I guess I can confirm that there's an issue there, but no idea how to reliably duplicate it.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
There has DEFINITELY, and I mean DEFINITELY, been something weird about VIMAGE since we moved to the FBSD 10 kernel in 9.10.

I can't explain it. Some stuff won't work in some jails when VIMAGE is on, and some won't work when it's off. I have helped several users with this, and I myself can discern no rhyme or reason, because in each case, what the user had installed in the jails should have been fairly agnostic with respect to VIMAGE. Definitely wasn't a problem on the FBSD 9 kernel.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I have the same problem on 9.3 with my MiniDLNA jail, so it's not 9.10' fault (but given the number of other problems with 9.10 I'll not update soon either...). Maybe it's worse on 9.10 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.