Virtual FreeNAS 11 on ESXi 6.5 Issues with VIMAGE Jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalADHD

Dabbler
Hello,
I think this is a controversial topic, but I wanted to share my experiences. I apologize if this is a duplicate.

I have a Dell R710 running ESXi from SD Card, My FreeNAS 11 is a VM with a PCI-E LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 2308_2 in Passthrough mode running 2 x 1TB SATA HDD and 4 x 3TB SATA HDD.

I made the virtualization networking stack as simple as possible, 1 physical vmnic to vSwitch 0 with promiscious mode, and even forged transmit accepted, 1 vmk for management, 1 vm portgroup for VMs e.g. FreeNas. No LAGGs or VLANS to keep things simple for troubleshooting.

No matter what I have tried, VIMAGE jails do not obtain an IP address from DHCP, and statically entered IPs and Gateways would not ping the gateway or 8.8.8.8.

The only thing I could do to get a Jail in VIMAGE to accept DHCP or a statically entered IP address was to pass through 2 NICs as PCI-E devices and add them to the FreeNAS 11 VM.

I hope this helps, as I was unable to find an answer after looking for a while. Searching isn't one of my strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.