So I have no idea what this jail networking problem/bug is

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
So I am running 9.10 most recent U2 or whatever it is. I have typically run jails without VIMAGE (which is not the default). This, itself, causes an interesting network issue whenever my main router resets---namely, any jails without VIMAGE never come back into the network when the router resets. I assume this is some ARP issue. But that's cool. No biggie. Everything comes back when I restart the jails in question.

Well today, I decided I was being an idiot, and just turned on all the VIMAGEs for all the jails. This way, they get their own network stacks, their own independent ARP resolutions, etc., and I would avoid this annoying little network annoyance (which, in fact, took down my mumble server while I was at work today).

One of my jails was completely inaccessible after I did this. Hmph! I turned off the VIMAGE, boom, there is was. Turn it back on, gone. That's strange. I go into the shell via the GUI, and it's fine, except I can neither get packets in, nor out. Doubly strange. After I poked around, eliminating possibilities, I realized the jail, even though it had an IP, did not have an ARP resolution. Hmph. Weird. So I did an ifconfig in the jail. Look at that, no MAC address. What the hell???? At least it made sense---without VIMAGE, the jail doesn't need a MAC address. So I went into the GUI again, and sure enough, the MAC address, which I did not touch, was completely NULL. I went ahead and put in a "private" MAC address, and now everything was totally fine with the VIMAGE'd jail.

So I am not sure what sequence of events caused that MAC address field to go blank. But it seems like the kind of thing that if it happens to the average user, they'd have a hell of a time figuring out what was wrong, and what the solution was.

So I'm just putting this out there, in case someone else has a similar problem down the road. Still would like to know why, when I switched 2 or 3 jails from no VIMAGE to VIMAGE, that one of them decided to have an unpopulated MAC field.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hmm, that does explain some of the weirdness surrounding VIMAGE.

Maybe the devs will be interested in this one, at least to upstream the issue to FreeBSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.