Using true nas as mega for a little bussines

jvk199613

Cadet
Hello everyone!

Im absolutely new at this world of NAS servers... I have a friend/client that wants to have a NAS at office with 8 to 12 for backup their files, each one with their own password. I´ve done some tests at home on windows, and it works perfect!

The problem i have now its that my friend/client is interested that the files saved in the NAS can be accesed from other locations such as employee homes with the aim that the files are synchronized without the need to go to the office, so... how can i do this possible?

I found some videos about this and i understand that its necesary to have a domain to stablish this conection, but now I am at a standstill not knowing how the access would work so that the employees can manage the files that are stored on the nas server. The idea that my client has is that it works with a desktop or web application similar to Mega or google drive.

Thank you very much for reading this and sorry if it is a bit confusing or if the writing is not the best.

Davvo

MVP
It's gonna be costly. Look at owncloud, that's the only alternative I know.

Last edited:

Etorix

Wizard
It can be as simple as setting up a VPN and let employees connect remotely through the VPN.

Redcoat

MVP
It can be as simple as setting up a VPN and let employees connect remotely through the VPN.
Defintely! Edit No domain is necessary. You will need to use Dynamic DNS service if the business does not have a static IP from its ISP. These are typically inexpensive in my US experience - I cannot speak to Mexico.

Last edited:

GBillR

Contributor
Hello everyone!

Im absolutely new at this world of NAS servers... I have a friend/client that wants to have a NAS at office with 8 to 12 for backup their files, each one with their own password. I´ve done some tests at home on windows, and it works perfect!
What tests have you done? Using TrueNAS? Windows file sharing? TrueNAS works very well as a windows file sharing NAS.
The problem i have now its that my friend/client is interested that the files saved in the NAS can be accesed from other locations such as employee homes with the aim that the files are synchronized without the need to go to the office, so... how can i do this possible?
This is going to be a problem for you. While possible, and I actually have setup such functionality with TruNAS and VPNs, it requires a lot of time and effort to get it up and working. And it will require regular update maintenance. If it is a hobby for you, and not your full time job... it might not be worth the trouble for you. Why not just use one of the many public services to accomplish your friend's needs? Like the aforementioned Google Drive? Or Microsoft 365?

If you want to know where to start, the basic idea is that you establish (i.e., build and deploy) a VPN server inside the client's office. This can be done within TrueNAS, or within another separate machine. Look at OpenVPN or wireguard. Do some reading. Once you have a VPN server set up, and you can connect to it remotely from outside the office, it is just a matter of setting up the proper routing to access the shares over the VPN. File sharing over the VPN can work if the network connections are fast enough. This sounds easy... and there are a lot of resources available for you to learn about it. But, if you are starting from square 1, it is going to take you some time to get it figured out and up and running.

I found some videos about this and i understand that its necesary to have a domain to stablish this conection, but now I am at a standstill not knowing how the access would work so that the employees can manage the files that are stored on the nas server. The idea that my client has is that it works with a desktop or web application similar to Mega or google drive.
If you are looking for the true "google drive" experience, nextcloud or owncloud is what you are looking for. But again, that is another whole layer of complication. You would need to setup a nextcloud or owncloud server (which can also be done on TrueNAS) to provide the functionality of a true "cloud" type service. More overhead. More headaches when something needs updating.

And you did not mention anything about hardware... have you already built the TrueNAS?