Using Lenovo P510 (Xeon E5-2650)

mvadu

Cadet
Hello nice people, I am a new member but been following this forum for a long time. I want to setup a local NAS for just personal use. Just few PCs backup, few docker/k8 containers and few lxc containers. So TreuNAS scale kind of fits all the requirements. In the hardware area, I know based on the recommendation articles SuperMicro motherboards are recommended but given my prior history with Lenovo I kind of like their systems. I am seeing a good price (~$400 CAD) for used Lenovo P510 towers. The hardware spec looks like:
CPU - Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 (12 core, 24 threads, supports up to 1.5TB)
Memory - 32GB ECC DDR4 2400 RAM
GPU - Quadro 2000

Mother board has option for 4 3.5 drives (or 8 2.5 drives) and has option to add few more using what they call flex bays. Given my needs (and drives with 10TB+ available) I doubt i would go any further.

Given above what do you think this server for TreuNAS Scale?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
If there is no RAID controller in there, and if the machine has an Intel NIC, I would say it looks good. The CPU is likely more than you need, but is a luxury problem ;-)

mvadu

Cadet
If there is no RAID controller in there, and if the machine has an Intel NIC, I would say it looks good. The CPU is likely more than you need, but is a luxury problem ;-)
yeah, the NIC is Intel i218LM

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Welcome! As requested, your thread has a new home in the SCALE section.

The Lenovo P-series workstations, along with their Dell and HP counterparts (Precision T5810/T7810, HP Z440/Z640/Z840) do a fine job as a general-purpose server, with the caveat that they require a standalone GPU for console output - but you might be able to leverage the M2000 for applications in SCALE.

They can be a little light on the drive bays count compared to a traditional "server" chassis (eg: Lenovo TD350, Dell T630, HP ML350 Gen9) and lack hot-swap capabilities, but they do often come at a significant discount and can have better acoustics. Monitor your drive temperatures closely if you use "unconventional means" to add more drive slots, such as 5.25" bay adapters.

Cheers!