Help choosing a MotherBoard for a dual Xeon E5 2650 v1 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel Nunes

Explorer
Hi everyone,

I have been looking for material to build a FreeNAS v11 server where I can run the NAS and virtual machines.
I put my hand on some 2 x Xeon E5 2650 v1 chips that I would like to use.
I have ECC Ram (128GB), a chassis capable of standing 24 drives and an expander to 6xSFF8087 .
The stress here is on VMs since I have have very low load for the NAS itself. It will only be used as a backup for another FreeNAS I have running on a Avoton with 16GB of ECC Ram.

When I tried to find a motherboard, SuperMicro came to my mind and I spotted this model: X9DR7-TF+

http://www.supermicro.com.tw/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DRE-TF_.cfm

What attracted me was the fact that it has 2x10Gbit NICs, 24 Slots for RAM, and 2xSFF8087 LSI based SAS ports.

The machine will be in test mode for a few months. I have some Hadoop workloads I would like to run in parallel with a 2x Xeon 2670 v1. I am in the process of finding enough budget for a 2x10GBit NIC to use directly connecting both 2650 and 2670 Xeons

I have a few questions:

Is this setup good for a FreeNAS build?

I should reserve 16GB of the total RAM on FreeNAS mode for the ARC cache and the rest will be for VMs.
I am having some problems creating a VM and install an OS.., So this mode is highly experimental for me.

Thanks in advance.
M

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.