Use of virtual machine as a webserver.

How do I access VNC virtual machine (Ubuntu) using ssh on FreeNas?

I have installed FreeNAS on my system. I have created a VNC virtual machine (Ubuntu OS) on that. I don't know how to access it with ssh. Actually, I want to use that virtual machine as a web server and launch my site on that.
Is this possible? If yes then how?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I have created a VNC virtual machine (Ubuntu OS) on that.
What do you mean by "a VNC virtual machine"? VNC isn't a hypervisor technology; it's a screen-sharing protocol.
I don't know how to access it with ssh.
You ssh to it the same way you'd ssh to any other *nix machine.
Is this possible?
Of course.
If yes then how?
You install the appropriate software in the VM and configure it properly--the details are far beyond the scope of this forum, as you aren't setting up the webserver on FreeNAS but under Ubuntu. If you need to ask this question, you might want to consult your favorite search engine with a query like "install web server ubuntu".

icsy7867

Contributor
Just to add to danb35,

You need the IP address of the VM so that you can SSH into it. The easiest way to do this is to access the VM using VNC and using a terminal to get the IP address.

With the IP address you can simply SSH to that IP address. Assuming you didn't do anything custom, it should be pulling an IP from your router.

adrianwi

Guru
You don't even need a Virtual Machine on FreeNAS to get a basic web server up and running. A FreeNAS jail can be configured pretty quickly to run Apache or NGINX and uses much less resource than a VM.

markuslacht

Cadet
Hey there maybe you can help me with a similar problem as well:

homer27081990

Patron
On the Ubuntu side of things, I think you have an Ubuntu VM and you want to connect to it using VNC?