usb boot error

KristofferD

Dabbler
I've a usb stick as the boot device and I've double checked the boot order but I get "This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted."
I don't know if the usb stick is getting to old old, had some warnings about i/o to it before I had to reboot the system (power outage).
Is there a way to clone the usb stick and boot from it that way? Want to get into it and save the config file, then I'll do a re-install on a larger ssd I've laying around.

MSI B75MA-P45
intel i5 2320
3x seagate 16tb raidz
4x Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4gb

Davvo

MVP
I've a usb stick as the boot device and I've double checked the boot order but I get "This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted."
If it's booting from it, the system (which version btw?) sees it as a data drive.
Are you sure it's not dead?

Is there a way to clone the usb stick and boot from it that way? Want to get into it and save the config file, then I'll do a re-install on a larger ssd I've laying around.
If the drive is not damaged there are plenty and it's a good plan.

KristofferD

Dabbler
If it's booting from it, the system (which version btw?) sees it as a data drive.
Are you sure it's not dead?

If the drive is not damaged there are plenty and it's a good plan.

The message is the first thing that pop up during the boot and halter the system completely so it seems to either wrongly read the USB stick as a data drive or it skips it and reads one of the hard drives.
Truenas 12 or 13, unsure more exact. Haven't been on top of updating the system regularly.

I don't think it's damaged, only old. As I said I had some warnings in regards to read and writes to it before I had to restart the system.
But since I can see multiple messages saying I shouldn't try and copy/clone the usb stick it gets me worried but am unsure were I've a copy of the config file (my bad...) so I really want to find a way to get to it so I don't lose ~20tb of data. Mostly copies of my movie collection but is such a pain to rip them again.

HeavyWeaponsGuy

PhD in Russian Literature
Itty bitty USB drive may have died. Is no big deal.
I really want to find a way to get to it so I don't lose ~20tb of data
Losing user data because boot device died is stupid. ZFS is not stupid. Even btrfs is not that stupid. Worst case, some pain setting up things again.
unsure were I've a copy of the config file
Config file is backed up in system dataset in case spies remove boot device.

KristofferD

Dabbler
Itty bitty USB drive may have died. Is no big deal.

Losing user data because boot device died is stupid. ZFS is not stupid. Even btrfs is not that stupid. Worst case, some pain setting up things again.

Config file is backed up in system dataset in case spies remove boot device.
Am to used to windows and windows is stupid so thought every system is stupid :oops:
But got access to it all after re-installed os on a new(ish) ssd disc