USB 3.1 Gen2 2.5Gbps Ethernet Adapter

Ok Houston we have got a problem: after a while the USB Adapter is shutting down.
Those devices are absolute crap. Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, doesn't matter.

One last thing you can try to hopefully get better results is to plug it into a USB-A port (rather than a USB-C port). (Your specific product allows both connections with an adapter.)

Other than that, you're left with a shoddy chipset.

silvioslim

Dabbler
Those devices are absolute crap. Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, doesn't matter.

One last thing you can try to hopefully get better results is to plug it into a USB-A port (rather than a USB-C port). (Your specific product allows both connections with an adapter.)

Other than that, you're left with a shoddy chipset.
thanks for the reply dude. I tried it already. Now i turn it back to amazon and i try again a pci card.
The problem is that a TPlink pci card it is not recognize. Now i order a QNAP card pci intel based (i225-LM...they assume is the 3rd version) hoping it works

artlessknave

Wizard
Is there a power management somewhere?
not for USB.
there is a reason USB is highly discouraged. USB devices are NOT standardized, and typically do whatever-the-hell they want. usb is also a round robin type protocol, meaning your network interface gets to communicate when the bus gets around to it, waiting its turn along with every other device on that USB root hub. if, for example, you put USB NIC and USB HDD on the same root hub, they can't operate at the same time, which would make everything increadibly slow as the OS has to manage data in waiting 3-4 times for every transaction.
I try already a PCI adapter but Truenas it doesn't recognize it...
supported adapters are recognized. others arYYMMV and often work poorly anyway.
also, PCIe? PCI is a different type of card.

silvioslim

Dabbler
not for USB.
there is a reason USB is highly discouraged. USB devices are NOT standardized, and typically do whatever-the-hell they want. usb is also a round robin type protocol, meaning your network interface gets to communicate when the bus gets around to it, waiting its turn along with every other device on that USB root hub. if, for example, you put USB NIC and USB HDD on the same root hub, they can't operate at the same time, which would make everything increadibly slow as the OS has to manage data in waiting 3-4 times for every transaction.

supported adapters are recognized. others arYYMMV and often work poorly anyway.
also, PCIe? PCI is a different type of card.
Yes PCIe. Is there a list of supported PCIe cards?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I try already a PCI adapter but Truenas it doesn't recognize it...

TrueNAS may not recognize consumer "Windows" grade junk ethernet adapters. Try an Intel Desktop CT adapter for your networking pleasure.

broozar

Dabbler
I bought a Sabrent USB 3.0 NIC 2500/1000/100/10 (Realtek chipset) and it works properly (is the right one).

Looks very much like the same adapter one I got. How did you get it to say "ue0 - 2500Base-T"? That's a lot further than I ever got.

Hardware Guide (READ THIS BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING!!!)
(I realize that's in bold, it's meant to save people from lots of frustration and wasted funds)

silvioslim

Dabbler
Looks very much like the same adapter one I got. How did you get it to say "ue0 - 2500Base-T"? That's a lot further than I ever got.
I did not anything dude, after i plug the rj45 then i restart the system and it says 2500 BaseT. But unfortunately after some minutes it shutting down. And this is really strange because i use USB DISK (4 x 4TB in a 4 Bay case) and i never had this problem on it.
It could be the USB power outlet under truenas have some problem?

silvioslim

Dabbler
TrueNAS may not recognize consumer "Windows" grade junk ethernet adapters. Try an Intel Desktop CT adapter for your networking pleasure.
But is only 1000/100 isn't it? I I tryed out to search a 2500 version but it seems there is not. Tomorrow will arrive the Qnap with the i225 3rd version...let see how it works

silvioslim

Dabbler
Some news: the USB NIC Adapter it working fine ad the Link is UP from some hours using a Y cable (a cable that give you the opportunity to connect data and power separately). Normaly is gonna sleep after 10/15 minutes but with this workaround it works
51cRaK7PPmL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

LEDs says that the link is up on 2500Mbps...is there a way (i supposed a shell command) to test the speed beetwen gaetway (the mai router) and the truenas core?

By the way i installed a QNAP PCIe card with Intel i225 chipset and i will use this. The USB NIC i will use on the mini desktop pc
1683209397119.png

Last edited:

broozar

Dabbler
Interesting workaround with the splitter cable, I definitely have to try this some time.
To test the network speed, the easiest way would be to use iPerf, since it's already installed on TrueNas last time I checked.
In the meantime, I have ordered a PCIe NIC and a bigger case to house my NAS experiment since I was getting fed up with USB, but this is still useful research and I will try your suggestion once I find such a cable in one of my cable boxes.

silvioslim

Dabbler
Interesting workaround with the splitter cable, I definitely have to try this some time.
To test the network speed, the easiest way would be to use iPerf, since it's already installed on TrueNas last time I checked.
In the meantime, I have ordered a PCIe NIC and a bigger case to house my NAS experiment since I was getting fed up with USB, but this is still useful research and I will try your suggestion once I find such a cable in one of my cable boxes.
yeah dude try it. It's working really well (use USB Phone plug adapter. I used a 2A powered). I assume that some problem regard USB devices could be the Truenas power management.
I use 4 HD on a USB Bay (image below) and everything working fine (obiviously powered with a direct plug).

As far as i decide to use PCIe NIC intel i225 and the USB NIC on my pc. Now i trasfer data at 275mbps while with the 1 Gigabit lan connection it was 114Mbps

Attachments

• 71onxAYhNYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71onxAYhNYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 62