How to install OpenVPN inside a jail in FreeNAS 9.2.1.6+ with access to remote hosts via NAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ispybadguys

Dabbler
I am still trying to make this work. I tried to access OpenVPN on the local network to avoid any port forwarding issues. I also changed the VPN port. I configured Tunnelblick to access the server at 192.168.1.10. I can ping the OpenVPN running in the jail at this IP address. and when I run
Code:
sockstat -4 -l
USER	 COMMAND	PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS		 FOREIGN ADDRESS	  
nobody   openvpn	68154 6  udp46  *:1194				*:*
root	 syslogd	68115 7  udp4   *:514				 *:*

I get the same error. I ran a port scan from the Mac Network Utility on 192.168.1.10 and I only see port 51312 open.
Code:
 Open TCP Port:	 51312
Port Scan has completed…

What happened to port 1194?

zoomzoom

Guru
@ispybadguys Please either read back through the last several pages or please post on the OpenVPN forum.
  • I was the main one helping to troubleshoot issues since the OP has not posted since December and I'm no longer helping anyone in this thread because every user with an issue in this thread fails to read.
    • This means the only users left to help are users who don't see fit to read documentation and understand what needs to happen to troubleshoot, ergo the blind are leading the blind...

Hi, i get the error:
Code:
 CP: /mnt/Raid/Keys in not a directory bash: CP:: not found
I was at the part of"All of the generated keys are inside the pki folder: we'll find our public keys in pki/issued, and the private keys in pki/private. Now copy the generated keys to your permanent storage, I mounted mine in /mnt/keys:" the folder i made is /mnt/Raid/keys.
What can i do ?

zoomzoom

Guru
Unix based system [BSD, Linux, Mac, etc.] are case-sensitive OSes... CP needs to be cp

zoomzoom

Guru
Hey, im sorry thats my bad. in the code i did it with the small cp.
Please post the command you're utilizing, along with the exact error message... i.e. copy and paste

zoomzoom

Guru
Use: cp -R pki/issued/ /mnt/Raid/keys/

zoomzoom

Guru
Then /mnt/Raid/keys does not exist and needs to be created... mkdir -p /mnt/Raid/keys ; cp -R pki/issued/ /mnt/Raid/keys/.
  • Just an FYI: this is a three year old, currently unsupported wiki thread, and there are far better ways to go about an OpenVPN server configuration.
    • The directories in the Wiki are arbitrary and may not reflect directories you have on your system. certs & keys should be stored in a sane location, such as /etc/ssl/openvpn/certs for certificates (perm 644) and /etc/ssl/openvpn/keys for keys (perm: 400)
    • CA keys should never be stored on the server or jail

Status
Not open for further replies.