UPS connection failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpfusion

Contributor
Hi,

after a server reboot the UPS connection failed. From /var/log/messages:

freenas upsmon[33615]: UPS [ups]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused

/var/log/messages is spammed with that line, every five seconds!

I thought the connection might have changed, so I tried different ports in
Services → UPS → Port to no avail. How to find the correct port for the UPS? I
guess a few months ago I looked into the dmesg output (BTW can't freenas
autodetect this?). However dmesg results in no output. That's weird, isn't it?

The manual states:

For USB devices, the easiest way to determine the correct device name is to enable the Show console messages option in System ‣ Advanced. Plug in the USB device and look for a /dev/ugen or /dev/uhid device name in the console messages.

However, clicking on the console in the GUI results in:

Loading…
Stop refresh

It won't load.

Why does dmesg not output the kernel log? And how to find the correct port for
the UPS?

FreeNAS-11.1-U4
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v4 @ 3.50GHz
163693MB
UPS Eaton 5PX

Redcoat

MVP
However, clicking on the console in the GUI results in:

Loading…
Stop refresh

It won't load.

To clear that situation, I refresh my browser screen. As I recall, it's effective "every time".

Then follow the manual's steps you repeated above.

mpfusion

Contributor
Refreshing helped with the log showing up. Thanks for the hint. But no output when I connect/disconnect the UPS. Also no output in dmesg.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Refreshing helped with the log showing up. Thanks for the hint. But no output when I connect/disconnect the UPS. Also no output in dmesg.
Oh, well, since the UPS being plugged in to the USB port is a devd thing, which automatically throws a message if you plug any legitimate device in there, you should absolutely be getting a message. If it's working. There's no way to turn that on and off really in a FreeNAS. Therefore, I suspect a faulty/loose USB cable or something.

mpfusion

Contributor
I plugged the UPS into another computer and also, no output. Then I plugged a USB mouse into the freenas box and got an output this time. So, nothing to do with freenas. Sorry for the noise.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
It's not a problem at all. That was an easy one. Probably not UPS, but rather the cable. It'll cost you $1 to test that theory.

mpfusion

Contributor
I tried three different cables to no avail. Power cycling the UPS (which unfortunately disconnects the outlets) fixed the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.