Upgrading USB boot to SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

moelassus

Dabbler
I finally got around to ordering a pair of inexpensive SandDisk SSDs to use as my boot volume. I nabbed a pair of 120GB drives for $25ea at the local MicroCenter. Seemed like the best deal I could find anywhere.

I had read an old thread that recommended attaching the SSDs to the boot volume before removing any of the USB drives. I tried doing this and I receive an error
[MiddlewareError: [EFAULT] 3-way mirror not supported yet]. From the older thread it appeared that the original poster had been successful doing this.

I will go ahead and proceed with removing one of the USB drives from the mirror and try to add an SSD but I was curious if I was missing something?

Thanks

moelassus

Dabbler
Well I managed to mess that process up and I have no idea what I did wrong. Here is the process I used.

I went into System / Boot / Status selected one of the USB drives and chose Replace. I picked one of the SSDs and waiting for it to return that the volume was normal. I even double checked from command-line that everything was OK.

Then I did the same thing for the second USB drive. I received an alert that there was an unrecoverable error. I ran a scrub and received more errors and it now tells me.

pool: freenas-boot

state: ONLINE

status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data

corruption. Applications may be affected.

action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the

entire pool from backup.

see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A

scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:00:02 with 2 errors on Wed Jun 13 11:29:04 2018

config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM

freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 2

mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 4

ada0p2 ONLINE 0 0 5

ada1p2 ONLINE 0 0 4

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

<metadata>:<0x3d>

freenas-boot/ROOT/default:<0x0>

Looks like I've earned a reinstall. I did grab a backup of both the config and the encryption key. I'm curious what I did wrong. Both SSDs passed the Long SMART test without error.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.