Boot Device degraded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harold Roberts

Dabbler
In another email I received this:

The boot volume state is DEGRADED: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.

I ordered a couple of Sandisk 64gb USB drives. is it possible to insert one of these new 64gb thumbdrives, mirror the 32gb current boot drive, and then pull the 32gb degraded drive, and insert the second 64gb thumbdrive, and have them build into a mirrored pair?

Thanks,

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Yes, but it's arguably easier just to save the configuration, clean install to both new drives, then restore the configuration.

Harold Roberts

Dabbler
OK, so I entered the Webgui, and I saved off my config into 3 different locations. I then took 2 brand new Sandisk 64gb Cruzer switch USB drives, and my original 9.10 installation thumb drive, and placed them in the server, to create a new boot drive.

However it will not image onto these or this drive. I am getting an error when it starts step 1 of 5 that says:

WRITE(10). CDB: 2a 00 00 00 f6 ef 00 00 80 00
CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
Retrying Command

It then keeps scrolling this and the the last line changes to below:
Error 5, retries exhausted

I have tried this with a single device, dual devices and 5 different thumb drives that I purchased. every one gives me this error.

Can anyone give me an idea of what I can do to get this installed? I even looked at the device and formatted it in EXT4 format using my ubuntu laptop.

I specifically used Sandisk, because the forums I have seen says that Sandisk are the best drives. Should I have ordered a different Sandisk drive?

jpimp

Contributor
I have been getting these a lot lately since upgrading to FN10. I get the
Code:
CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
as well as
Code:
CAM status: Command timeout
with the same result - the boot is completely stuck in a loop of retries.

In my case, it is intermittent. I can generally power cycle the machine and the next try will work. I've been reading a little about this regarding freebsd 10 and it being a regression. What version of FN are you running? FN10 is running on top of freebsd 11, so it looks like maybe the issue hasn't been resolved yet?

Harold Roberts

Dabbler
I am running what ever is installed with Freenas 9.10.2. I just built the system last week using defaults. I don't even want it to do very much just take a JBOD, and allow me to store files on them from any PC in my house, and also run a TFTP server for my IP phones, and cisco equipment to store configs on.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I've occasionally had CAM status errors and it was due to a bad flash drive (I run a mirrored pair for OS). I know they are new but did you double check them on another machine and run test to ensure they are good?

Harold Roberts

Dabbler
I have tested them in my Ubuntu workstation, and on my Windows 10 box. I can copy files to and from them without an issue. I have even filled up on of the drives with movies, and then compared them with the original copy. They all match.

I am in the process of doing a dd to the thumbdrive of all 0's and will then try to install on to them.

I'd like to see if there is a way to mirror the 16gb drive I have to one and then see if I can boot from it. I guess I will try a dd of the 16gb as well and see it it works

Status
Not open for further replies.