Upgrading storage

hendry

Explorer
I have two bays free on my HP microserver and I'm hitting Space usage for pool "red" is 80%.

1570414513_2560x1440.png

Would the optimal steps be:

1. Buy a WD 8TB drive
2. Import the disk to the pool
3. Drink a beer

Or am I missing something?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Definitely missing something. Adding a single device to the pool will cause it to become a single point of failure as a single-drive vdev. Minimum would be a pair of mirrored drives.

This of course begs the question; what is your current pool configuration?

hendry

Explorer
Is this enough to tell you? https://s.natalian.org/2019-10-07/1570415120_2560x1440.png

"redsamba" is the most important. It contains all my video footage. Tbh it's now backed up to S3 glacier every day so I am not incredibly worried about the single point of failure scenario.

So maybe I can peel back on the RAID1 mirroring setup. I am not entirely sure where this is defined, but that's how I initially set it up.

Glorious1

Guru
In the screen in your screenshot, if you click on the gear icon and choose "Status", that would show your pool configuration.

hendry

Explorer
1570586349_2560x1440.png

Does that help?

freenas% zpool status pool: freenas-boot state: ONLINE scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:09:21 with 0 errors on Fri Oct 4 03:54:21 2019 config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0 da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0 errors: No known data errors pool: red state: ONLINE status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool. The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable. action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done, the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support the features. See zpool-features(7) for details. scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 07:02:18 with 0 errors on Sun Sep 22 07:02:19 2019 config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM red ONLINE 0 0 0 mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0 gptid/d29b9c19-5ed3-11e8-8715-b05ada874af8 ONLINE 0 0 0 gptid/d3740634-5ed3-11e8-8715-b05ada874af8 ONLINE 0 0 0 errors: No known data errors

I guess MIRROR means something....a mirror perhaps? I don't actually 100% need a mirror since my data is nicely backed up daily, but I guess I should stick with it for redundancy.

Jessep

Patron
Yes you currently have a single mirror, easiest would be to add a second mirror of (2) more 4TB drives to your pool. Read the manual on this, lots of folks have incorrectly added drives as singles rather than mirrors to an existing pool.

This would net you an additional 3TB or so usable. Your pool wont move data so most new writes will be to the new mirror until they are balanced.

hendry

Explorer

Jessep

Patron
The entire point of FreeNAS and ZFS is to protect your data. If you don't care about the data you are storing there really isn't a reason to use the complexity of FreeNAS or ZFS.

Adding a single drive to your pool will make it a single point of failure. If that drive fails or potentially just goes offline (depending on the circumstances) you will lose all data on the pool. In most cases there is no way to recover any data from those failure modes.

In your case you would need to add another mirror, (2) drives, to extend the pool. As I said if you add them improperly you may not be able to remove them without moving all the data and recreating the pool.

If you want to be able to put any old drive into the system for added storage there are other products that would likely work better for you. Synology SHR works that way. I think UNRAID will, Open Media Vault perhaps? I'm not very familiar with other products as I've been using FreeNAS for about 8-10 years I'd guess.

hendry

Explorer

Jessep

Patron
The manual has no screen shots on adding a vdev to an existing pool.
I did a quick search and didn't find any obvious screenshots from other posters, though I have read about the new GUI not being as clear as is should be for this process.
I don't have any free ports or drives so I can't simulate and provide screenshots.

The key outcome is to add a (2) drive mirror, not a single drive. You check the outcome with "zpool status" at the console.
Should look something like this:

Code:
Pool Name
    mirror vdev
        drive 1
        drive 2
    mirror vdev
        drive 1
        drive 2

Here is a video that seems to cover some of the basics, I didn't watch/listen to the video (can't stand youtubers) just skipped through without sound. He is adding (3) drive RaidZ1 vdevs rather than mirrors, it's the same idea. This is last years 11.1 "new" GUI not the current 11.2 "new" GUI but they seem mostly the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76qnBjZF65g