Pools across differing BUS speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy

Cadet
Hi,

I am currently running FreeNAS 11.1? current update. on a HP Generation 8 Microserver G1610T with 16GB ECC memory.
Manual available here: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04128132.pdf?ver=10
I have two Seagate IronWolf Red 4TB in the Pool and two remaining bays.
Bay 0 and 1 are 6GBs SATA interfaces (which house my current drves) and 2 and 3 are 3GBs SATA (currently unused).
I have two shares, one of which can go, but using CIFS only.
The main usage is streaming media and file storage, but streaming media from BHyve Ubuntu Emby server, Emby jail keept failing.
Needing to increase my storage capacity, is it ok to add an additional disk to the ZFS pool which will have a performance reduction with the 3GBs interface, or would you reccomend adding two drives and creating a second Pool and share? managing the disk usage as required manually.
Just seeking thoughts on performance impacts/non events.

Other than this it's been a rock solid system.
Thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
3 Gigabytes per second!? Where do I sign up?

Unit silliness aside, it could not make less of a difference. Well, maybe if you were using ancient IDE drives on a PATA/SATA adapter...

ThatGuy

Cadet
Oh the difference between "B" and "b" :rolleyes:, and I should know the difference...

Figured it would not make that much difference for a home environemnt, just wondering if there would be any performmance difference/impact from a FreeNas perspective.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Since fast hard drives barely saturate SATA 1.5Gb/s, there's really nothing to worry about.

Zredwire

Explorer
When your talking spinning drives it won't make a difference. Even a SAS 15k drive (like a Seagate) has a max transfer rate of 205MB/s (or 1.64Gb/s). There may be some faster but none I know of that approach the 2.4Gb/s actual throughput of a SATA 2 interface. Now if your drives are SSD then it may be possible to max out a SATA 2.0 interface. But even so I don't know if you would really see the difference. I guess it just depends on your workload.

Status
Not open for further replies.