FreeNAS build for 4x8TB WD Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

klj613

Cadet
Hi,

Currently I've got a HP MicroServer Gen8 G1610T with 12GB of ECC memory. The server currently has 2x2TB WD Green (Raid 1) and 1x8TB WD Red (standalone). Currently the CPU averages the load at 30-50%.

The purpose of the 2x2TB WD Greens is to store general files such as camera albums, word documents, etc.

The purpose of the 8TB WD Red is to store media files to stream via plex on the local network.

I will be getting another 8TB WD Red soon which will mean I am using all four bays of the MicroServer. After this I am not sure if I want to do a new build (with more than four bays) to expand into 4x8TB Reds.

Currently I am interested in buying a used Dell R510 with 8/12 bays or a Dell C2100/FS12-TY (12 bays). I am also open to a self-build if self-build makes more sense. I currently use a R210II as a pfsense router therefore would prefer to stay with Dell however I am also open to using other hardware.

I predict I will need at around 18-23TB of usable storage. This storage is not critical therefore I do not "need" redundancy. Only some data I would like to have redundancy with which is what the current mirrored WD Greens are for.

My ideal solution would be to have 8-12 bay rackmounted chassis with a depth not exceeding ~400mm. Eventually I will have a rack however would prefer to have a small rack (depth wise). However it seems this ideal solution may not be possible. Plan B is to have two MicroServers on a shelve inside the rack side-by-side.

One solution could be to decommission the WD Greens and move the general files onto the WD Reds and only have one MicroServer. However this raises the question if I will want redundancy on the WD Reds or if the external backups of the general files is sufficient.

Any advice is welcomed.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Right now I feel you are all over the place with system configurations you want to look at. You need to figure out your capacity which you did state at 18TB to 23TB usable storage. You need to figure out hwo fast the storage needs to be accessed. You already stated you do not nooed redundancy so a Stripe would work. So four 8TB drives would give you 29.1TB - 5.82TB = ~23TB usable space in a Stripe, no redundancy.

As for the use case, you want to store streaming media primarily and then some other data that I think you do want some redundancy with. So if you desire to mix the two you could create two pools on one system and you could mirror two 2.5" drives and make them fit into the case, assuming you have enough SATA ports, or add some more ports.

Currently the CPU averages the load at 30-50%.
You are doing more than just storing files and streaming Plex content or you are doing something wrong, or do you stream media all the time? That is quite a bit of CPU load.

klj613

Cadet
Thanks for the reply.

I too thought the CPU was a bit high. Checked again and its now around 15-20%. I do currently run plex via a jail (and a few other jails) however I turn these off when checking the CPU load earlier and just now. The server also has SMB on.

I've looked into the speed requirements (reading on plex forums etc) and I'm not concerned about the performance of the HDDs. However will double check.

My understanding is the pool set up I currently desire would be 2x2TB Mirrored 4x8TB Striped (or standalone pools), totaling 6 bays.

Since the MicroServer only has 4 bays I would be looking into a new chassis. Are there any recommendations for rackmounted chassis for FreeNAS with >6 bays (self-build or purchase used)? I have attempted to look into this before I opened this thread.

Currently the simple answer is to have a MicroServer for the 2x2TB and a separate MicroServer for the 4x8TB.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
FWIW, I'm currently in the midst of converting a Norco RPC-431 to suit my needs (see here for my build report). It can hold up to nine 3.5" disks, a single 2.5" drive, uses a standard ATX power supply, and features two big 120mm fans up front, room for another two 80mm fans in the rear. Gives you lots of room to expand, opportunity to re-use some of your existing hardware. This rig would allow you to house all your disks under one roof. Not bad for $80...

----- EDIT:

I have since given up on the RPC 431 as a case for a FreeNAS server. See my build report for details. Read that report in detail before you contemplate buying the case.

Last edited:

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Sure thing. Just remember that the Norco case is bare... no SATA, power connectors, etc. are included in the case. The only things that have wires attached to them are the front panel and the two front fans. I had good luck buying associated wires on eBay.

----- EDIT:

I have since given up on the RPC 431 as a case for a FreeNAS server. See my build report for details.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.