WD Red Plus 8 TB running hot?

seldo

Dabbler
Hello,

I’m upgrading my HP Microserver Gen8 and I’m looking to add two drives.
I currently run with 2x2TB WD Red (2016, so they weren’t called Plus yet), and they run at 30°C, in bay 1 and 3 (so not next to each other).
I’ll repurpose that pool and it’s data will be on the drives I’ll buy.

i have already 1.3TB ready to be on the new pool, and a max of 900 GB that will join it “soon”, plus what I will create from now on (see https://www.truenas.com/community/t...agmentation-on-cold-storage.90077/post-623980).

I’m currently evaluating how much storage space I’ll need in the next few years so I can decide between 6TB or 8TB.
That is, so I do not go much over 50% capacity on my pool. The most pessimistic estimations would be 500 GB left right after copying eaphat already exists, and all is pointing towards 2x8TB drives. I’d pick one WD Red Plus and one Iron Wolf. At 8 TB, they are not yet on helium.

However, I checked the latest WD Red Plus 8TB and they seem to run hot, like really hot.
Looks like I can plan a 45°C or more temperature, a 15° increase than my current system.
That will most likely affect my current drives.
The server is in my entrance, but I kind of hear it already, and raising 15% in temperature will force me to increase the fan speed, resulting in ever more noise.

So I thought I’d be ok with 8 TB space wise, but it might not fit my noise consideration (so that I don’t have an overheating system).

Thought?

My two WD Red Plus 4TB drives both run at around 28C. My two WD Red Plus 8TB drives both run at around 35C. So consistently +7 degrees celcius compared to the 4TB drives.

Where are you getting 45C or more? From reviews you read, or actually installing them in your system?

Interestingly enough, 45C was the sweet spot for hard drive longevity according to Google's tests in 2007. So maybe consider yourself lucky if your drives run at or near 45C? :wink:

My original two drives run at 28C, which places them in one of the most dangerous groups.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Interestingly enough, 45C was the sweet spot for hard drive longevity according to Google's tests in 2007.
Hm, that's indeed what one can conclude from figure 4 (p. 6), but that does exclude the drives' age. On the other hand, when looking at figure 5, it seems that at the age of three years, there is a significant increase of failure at 45C. Either way, the study is so old that likely things have changed to such a degree that the paper is to be read with caution.

seldo

Dabbler
Where are you getting 45C or more? From reviews you read, or actually installing them in your system?

Interestingly enough, 45C was the sweet spot for hard drive longevity according to Google's tests in 2007. So maybe consider yourself lucky if your drives run at or near 45C? :wink:

My original two drives run at 28C, which places them in one of the most dangerous groups.

From reading, because I do t want to buy a product to return it afterwards.
Ive seen that study. However as written below, it’s fairly old and things might have changed. Not that it’s not good anymore, just that I don’t know.
So I’m still thinking and haven’t bought anything so far...

However as written below, it’s fairly old and things might have changed. Not that it’s not good anymore, just that I don’t know.
@ChrisRJ makes a good point, not just for the fact that the study is old (which it is, though more recent ones have even more glaring omissions), but there is too much variance between categories (usage, service life, average temperature). Still it is interesting that perhaps within a realistic temperature range, harddrives are surprisingly resilient once they pass the one-year mark.

From reading, because I do t want to buy a product to return it afterwards.
My WD Red Plus 8TB drives idle around 35C. Even under load, I never see them exceed 38C. (I live in a warm climate, so I don't have Antarctica's good graces on my side.) :wink:

I believe focusing airflow (via negative pressure at specific areas of the chassis) yields better and more consistent cooling effects of the drives than attempting to position a case fan to blow directly at the drives; let alone a mixture of inlets and exhausts.

Some time back I started to only use exhaust fans: no inlet fans (i.e, no fans are blowing air into the case). I'm very likely going to keep using this method as I found it gives the most favorable results. I'll later attach an image to further explain why.

Last edited:
Here's my general rule-of-thumb that I use, not only for a NAS server, but for custom PC builds in general. The case, used as an example in the image, is for illustrative purposes only. It does however emphasize that there should be a grille or mesh (where fresh air can enter), and that this part of the case should be where your drives / bays reside. No need for any fancy bells or whistles; simple principles with tried-and-true results. This type of setup has consistently kept my drives at ideal temperatures.

The one caveat is you need to remember to clean/replace the dust filter and occasionally clean the front grille with a duster, such as a swiffer brush. I have an air purifier running 24/7 located within a couple feet from my NAS. I am pleased at how long it can stave off noticeable dust buildup. :cool:

suction-created-from-all-exhausts.jpg

Last edited:

seldo

Dabbler
For anyone reading that in the future:
My enclosure is an HP Microserver Gen 8 (unchanged from original post).
I have the following setup:

• bay1: ST 8TB ST8000VN004
  • bay2: WD 2TB WD20EFRX
  • bay3: ST 2TB ST2000VN004
  • bay4: WD 8TB WD80EFBX
  • external: WD 6TB WD60EFRX
I'm current doing a replication task from the pool (mirror) on the 8TB drive to the external drive.
Each drive from the mirror pool is contributing at 50% to the read operations.
I have the following temperatures:
  • bay1: ST 8TB @ 47C
  • bay2: WD 2TB @ 38C
  • bay3: ST 2TB @36C
  • bay4: WD 8TB @48C
  • external: WD 6TB @45C
Temperature with no activity:
  • bay1: ST 8TB @ 40C
  • bay2: WD 2TB @ 34C
  • bay3: ST 2TB @33C
  • bay4: WD 8TB @41C
  • external: WD 6TB @36C
Note: cooling can be improved, but for the space availability / noise requirements I have, that's what I get today.

Last edited: