Upgraded from FreeNAS to TrueNAS and now cannot access my folders in Windows Explorer

ShaunIOW

Dabbler
At the weekend I upgraded FreeNAS (11.3) to TrueNAS (TrueNAS-12.0-STABLE) on my HP Microserver, and it went fine. After the upgrade I could log into the dashboard web interface no problem and could access the Plex Server from my TV and a web interface, but for some reason I cannot access the folders on the TrueNAS in Windows Explorer like I used to the FreeNAS (it's how I copy my files to it).

In Windows Explorer the Network still shows it called FreeNAS but when I try to access it, Windows Security asks me for a username and password (which it didn't before) but when I enter the username and password it says it is wrong, even though it is the same as the one I use to log-in on the web interface, even when I copy/paste it from the TrueNAS dashboard change password where it can be viewed it says it is wrong. The TrueNAS has a static IP and is the same as it was as FreeNAS adn I can se it in the router (altough still called FreeNAS).

Any ideas please?

Redcoat

MVP
The root user can no longer be used for SMB share access. You need to create another user account and use that for access to your SMB shares. See the Release notes for confirmation:
NAS-107532TrueNAS “root” user account cannot be an SMB user.This is an intentional change to improve software security and suitability for deployment in a variety of environments. Update the SMB configuration to use a different user account.

That's from https://www.truenas.com/docs/hub/intro/release-notes/tn-12_0-rc1/

G8One2

Patron
Create an admin user with password, and add him to the group user of the dataset you're trying to access

ShaunIOW

Dabbler
I've created an admin user and password and can now access the folders in Windows Explorer, but when I try and copy/move anything to them I get a message saying "You need permission to perform this action" and I can't copy anything, I've given the user all permissions I could find, what else do i need to do?

Cheers

G8One2

Patron
Thats because you need to add the admin user, to the group permissions of the folder or dataset you're attempting to access, with write permissions.

ShaunIOW

Dabbler
Thats because you need to add the admin user, to the group permissions of the folder or dataset you're attempting to access, with write permissions.

Cheers for the reply. How do I do that? As I thought I had added it so probably done it wrong.

G8One2

Patron
1616862056132.png

ShaunIOW

Dabbler
This is my screen, but it still asks for permission when I try moving files, can you see where I'm going wrong?

My main account login username is root, that logs me into the TrueNAS web interface, the new one user I created is ShaunIOW

TrueNAS.jpg

G8One2

Patron
Whatever group you're trying to access, make sure it's in the auxiliary group list. May have to use the ACL manager as well, and set the group to built in administrators on the dataset and set it to recursive, because before it was likely set to root/wheel. Which can no longer be used for smb

G8One2

Patron
For example

1616882686615.png