Server reject my username and password

koan

Cadet
Hi,

I have a problem with my TrueNAS configuration:
When I try to login trough Windows Explorer to my TrueNAS Server reject my username and password.

I have a problem with my TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1 configuration in the login to the server from Windows Explorer.
My main question is which username is should used for login? Because the user/password I created during configuration are rejected when trying to open the shared resource. I deleted and created a new one the user account several times, and it was rejected again.
I was able to log in only once, maybe by chance probably with my Windows account on the computer, and then I transferred my files to the server - Everything worked properly. The next day I decided to set a static IP address on the server. DHCP pool on the router (Tenda W316R) is 192.168.0.100 to 150, I set 192.168.0.222. Web wi loads normally, even my smart TV via Mpayer sees and play the files on the server. But in no way with any user, be it created in TrueNAS or is it with windows account, I can not log in. Where am I wrong I can't figure out? Why once I logged in I can't anymore?
which account should I use after TrueNAS and Windows 10 account rejects them for me?

Redcoat

MVP
Only the user "root" can log in to the TrueNAS GUI (by design).

Other user accounts will have access to shares (typically SMB for windows) with appropriate permissions set. Root account cannot be used for SMB access.

A common suggestion for ease of access to SMB shares by Windows clients is to use the same username and password in TrueNAS as that used on the W10 installation.

Last edited:

koan

Cadet
Thanks for the quick response.
I have no problem with the user "root" log in to the TrueNAS GUI, and I have no intention of a Root account to be used for SMB access.

The problem is that the user/password (for the ordinary user in trueNAS) for access to SMB shares by Windows clients is rejected.

From what you suggest, do I understand that I need to create a user account in TrueNAS with user/password creatures as in Windows? And whether I will have a problem when I log in from other computers with different username and password?

Redcoat

MVP
From what you suggest, do I understand that I need to create a user account in TrueNAS with user/password creatures as in Windows? And whether I will have a problem when I log in from other computers with different username and password?
That is just one "solution" that has received +ve response from users here.

Have you followed the advice here https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/sharing/smb/smbshare/ and also searched the forums Issues with permissions for SMB shares have been the subject of many postings and @anodos has provided a mass of guidance for identifying the specifics and their solutions.

koan

Cadet
Yes, the name of the problem is Windows 10, under Windows 7 everything is ok, from smart TV - ok too. there were some minor issues with the permissions.

Redcoat

MVP
Did you reset your user account profile in W10?

koan

Cadet
What do you mean "reset your user account profile in W10"?
In “credential manager” under Windows credential I remove stored account for TrueNAS.
In Windows 10 I can't map network drive, but Windows Explorer I can browse and read in shared TrueNAS folder, but I can't write!
I don't have permission.

I don't have a problem with Linux computers in the same network reading / writing in shared folders in TRUENAS.

sretalla