One username/password opens multiple folders.

K.J

Explorer
Can someone explain me in clear steps how to avoid the following problem.

I have one group account and two user accounts.
One user account for BackUps.
The other as CCTV for the IP cameras.
If I now log into windows with the username and password of the BackUp then the CCTV folder is also visible.
How can I prevent this?

Attachments

• xxx.jpg
    xxx.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 126

K.J

Explorer
@anodos

Thanks for your reply.

I am a new user of Treunas, so it took me a while to find the Uncheck browsable in the smb sharing.
Okay this one I have unchecked.
Indeed then the cctv or the BackUp folder is no longer visible in windows.

What I do not understand is how it is possible that when I log in with the username and password of cctv or BackUp both folders are visible.

I want to be able to access each folder separately from windows with their own username and password.

But how do I still access this folder from windows? because it is not visible when I turn off Uncheck browsable....

Translated with www.DeepL.com

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
@anodos

Thanks for your reply.

I am a new user of Treunas, so it took me a while to find the Uncheck browsable in the smb sharing.
Okay this one I have unchecked.
Indeed then the cctv or the BackUp folder is no longer visible in windows.

What I do not understand is how it is possible that when I log in with the username and password of cctv or BackUp both folders are visible.

I want to be able to access each folder separately from windows with their own username and password.

But how do I still access this folder from windows? because it is not visible when I turn off Uncheck browsable....

Translated with www.DeepL.com

You are seeing shares. You are not seeing folders. There's a difference. When you navigate to a server in Windows File Explorer "\\server_name", you are connecting to the IPC$ share on the SMB server and issuing a Remote Procedure Call (RPC) to the server to list all of its shares. This is generally the same for _all_ users regardless of operating system. This is how it works on Windows as well.

Typically Windows administrators will "map" SMB shares as network drives through the File Explorer GUI. Actual share paths are always of the form \\server_name\share_name. Ability to access shares is not impacted by the contents of the share browse list.

diedrichg

Wizard
Uncheck browsable on one or more shares and map network drives, or configure "access-based share enumeration".
What if those boxes are greyed out? What do I need to do to enable them?