How do I prevent TrueNAS from creating a sub folder for every username in the root of every dataset write on?

TheRiceKing

Dabbler
How do I prevent TrueNAS from creating sub folders with my username "SMBUser" every time I write to the Dataset?

1. I will be the only person with a user account on my TrueNAS.
2. Everyone else at home will have limited access to some folders as read only without having an account.

I want to write to the root of each data and not to a sub folder with my username.

How do I prevent TrueNAS from creating a sub folder with my username in the root of every dataset write on?
Screenshot 2023-01-16 081229.jpg

Davvo

MVP
It looks like you are using the home share option in the SMB share.
Do note that you can't share the root dataset (MyMedia).

TheRiceKing

Dabbler
It looks like you are using the home share option in the SMB share.
Do note that you can't share the root dataset (MyMedia).
Thank you for your prompt response.

You are correct that I cannot share "MyMedia" folder but I do want to share the sub folder "MediaLibrary"

Problem is that all 6TB of media I transferred to that folder went to the sub folder with my username "smbuser"

How do I prevent that from happening to all the datasets I write to?

Currently, I have SMB share under purpose set to Private SMB Datasets and Shares

Which "Purpose" SMB Preset is best for I'm trying to do?

2023-01-16 09_37_48-TrueNAS - 10.0.0.8 and 2 more pages - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge.jpg

Davvo

MVP
A learning opportunity is to click that advanced options button and see how they change between the different presets.

TheRiceKing

Dabbler
"Default share parameters" seems like a good choice.

Thank you for your response. It looks like I am getting closer to my goal thanks to you help.

The only thing is that "Export Recycle Bin" is greyed out for the "Default share parameters"

How do I enable "Export Recycle Bin" while using the Default share parameters? I need this option in case of an accidental delete.

2023-01-16 09_54_57-TrueNAS - 10.0.0.8 and 2 more pages - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge.jpg

Davvo

MVP

TheRiceKing

Dabbler
That's the way to do so.
Consider using automatic snapshots instead.
Forgive my ignorance but I am completely clueless about what are snapshots and the method you recommended. Do you by any chance had a link with a tutorial?

Davvo

MVP

Davvo

MVP
There is also the official documentation.