Unable to make Network Drives in Windows 11 from my TrueNas Server.

Knutech

Cadet
Hi, I'm a complete Noob, so if my questions appear stupid, please excuse. I have installed TrueNas on an unused PC, fitting 5x 4TB drives for the pool & 1x 1G for the software. It all configured, pool set up and folders made to put my media into. I can easily log into the TrueNas server, WWW interface, using the user name; root and my password. I then went on to try and enable either a drive letter or network connection under Windows 11. Windows see's the Server, shows me the directories I made and here's where the problem starts.

I'm asked by Windows to enter the username & password to access the folder, I enter 'root', then my password. Windows then states the password is incorrect, but it isn't and I can get no further. I have set windows share permissions to no password required but still the same. I've reset the network to no avail so I'm stuck. I realise there is something I'm missing, some permission or a tick box, but I just can't find it.

So, all HELP welcome, pretty please.

Regards, Rick o_O

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

Access by user "root" to SMB shares is not permitted. To do so, make another user/password in TrueNAS and use that account to log in to your SMB shares from your Windows client.

See the Release notes for confirmation:
NAS-107532TrueNAS “root” user account cannot be an SMB user.This is an intentional change to improve software security and suitability for deployment in a variety of environments. Update the SMB configuration to use a different user account.

That's from https://www.truenas.com/docs/hub/intro/release-notes/tn-12_0-rc1/ and carries over.

Last edited: