Windows 10 can't access TrueNas Share

OhioYJ

Dabbler
What DNS servers do you have specified on the Windows 10 boxes? Do you have SMB1 enabled on the Windows 10 boxes?

I only specify DNS servers on the router, not the PCs. So the PCs do reach out to the router for the DNS inquiries. The router points to a PiHole (which uses Google DNS), if that wasn't available it would use Google DNS, then if that should fail it would fail to OpenDNS.

Just checked, and SMB1 is currently (still) enabled according to (I've been going back and forth on this one enabling / disabling it hoping it would fix it):

Code:
Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName SMB1Protocol

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
That explains it. Please disable SMB1 on the Windows boxes, since it's not enabled on TrueNAS. Also, configure your TrueNAS to point to the router for DNS.

OhioYJ

Dabbler
That explains it. Please disable SMB1 on the Windows boxes, since it's not enabled on TrueNAS. Also, configure your TrueNAS to point to the router for DNS.

Thank you so much. This was driving me nuts. Ok, got it figured out and I caused the problem (obviously). Still need to disable SMB1, as that's definitely not it. You got me pointed in the right direction finally.

So I have the DNSCache / DNS Client service disable / stopped on these machines. Windows, particularly if you use a large hosts file can take a minute to connect the internet on boot. This makes it connect instantly when you power on the machine (works better even if you aren't using a hosts file). As it turns out though it will cause fallout in other ways with networking devices. I was using this registry key to enable disable:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Dnscache

Locate key "Start" DWord  and change from 2 to 4 to disable:

4 = Disable
    2 = Enable

Now time to get this setup right, and fix this across all the other PCs.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Glad you figured it out. That was a real head-scratcher.

HRS

Dabbler
I have a similar problem. Can't map a TrueNAS share on a Windows 11 PC
The shares allow guest access, so I can access them in read only mode by typing \\truenas-ip\ in the explorer navigation bar
However, mapping the drives, either from the explorer or with the net use command fails, with the following error:
Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.
This seems to be an error sent from the TrueNAS smb and not from windows, since I do not have any mapping active on the Windows PC
If I execute net use from an elevated command prompt, the command succeeds, and the drive is accessible in rw mode from the elevated cmd but in ro mode in the regular cmd prompt (and not visible in explorer)

OhioYJ

Dabbler
I have a similar problem. Can't map a TrueNAS share on a Windows 11 PC
The shares allow guest access, so I can access them in read only mode by typing \\truenas-ip\ in the explorer navigation bar
However, mapping the drives, either from the explorer or with the net use command fails, with the following error:

This seems to be an error sent from the TrueNAS smb and not from windows, since I do not have any mapping active on the Windows PC
If I execute net use from an elevated command prompt, the command succeeds, and the drive is accessible in rw mode from the elevated cmd but in ro mode in the regular cmd prompt (and not visible in explorer)

I have since switched to Windows 11, and everything does just work. I do map these drives as well. You'll likely get a better response though by starting a new thread. I know just enough to be dangerous in TrueNAS. I believe the first time I connect in Windows it does ask for a user name / password if I recall correctly? (or perhaps that was my Linux machines, or it could be both). It just does it once though.

Oatbag

Cadet
Thanks SO MUCH :smile: @Samuel Tai following your diagnostics steps was invaluable in helping me resolve a similar issue.
In my case the Owner/Group of one of my pools was changed from ROOT/WHEEL and this caused all the unexpected issues I was seeing in share access.

Last edited:

smithj33

Cadet
Thank you for this post. I was able to get mine working as well. I had a DNS name / domain mismatch.