Lost all access/permissions

RushFan

Cadet
I'm new to TrueNAS since March 2021, currently running TrueNAS core 12.0-U4.
I installed from the TrueNAS-12.0-U2.1.iso, created a user and a group, and set up a few pools and datasets, etc.
I could read, write and map the shares on my pcs, and had full access to them on my macs as well.
I had Plex working, and I configured various mac and pc backups.

I was in newbie heaven for about 2 months, until my main pc started giving me the following message:
Network Error
Windows cannot access \\TRUENAS\Media
You do not have permission to access \\TRUENAS\Media. Contact your network administrator to request access.
(Just a quick ironic aside, I am the network administrator.)

This access/permissions problem spread to all of my pcs, and now to my macs.
I now have no access to my media shares or my backups, but I can still see the TrueNAS dashboard and Plex can play its media files.
I have googled this from the Windows 10 side and the TrueNAS side and I cannot find a solution.

Attachments

• ACL.PNG
    ACL.PNG
    44 KB · Views: 252
  • User.PNG
    User.PNG
    44.5 KB · Views: 236
  • Group1.PNG
    Group1.PNG
    36.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Group2.PNG
    Group2.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

RushFan

Cadet
Solved!

I created a new user & password, along with a new group.
Everything is working again!

RushFan

Cadet
I use the root only to logon to the TrueNAS dashboard.
For the pools/shares I had created a user and a group.
This morning I created a new user & password, and a new group. This fixed the problem.

I want to thank you. I was kind of stuck and your reply inspired me to keep at it.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
This morning I created a new user & password, and a new group. This fixed the problem.

I want to thank you. I was kind of stuck and your reply inspired me to keep at it.

I appreciate the "thanks", but I'd prefer to know why you were having trouble?? :smile:

RushFan

Cadet
I appreciate the "thanks", but I'd prefer to know why you were having trouble?? :smile:
Quite often, as a humble pc enthusiast, I find that I know just enough to get myself into trouble.
My 4TB WD MyCloud EX was filling up when I decided to build my own NAS system on an older i7 pc.
After some experimentation I found TrueNAS to work best for my needs as a Media Server and PC Backup device.
As stated in my original post, all was well!
A motherboard failure nudged me into my current hardware environment with a fresh TrueNAS install and a saved config load, all was well.
We had 2 storm related power outages about a week apart, I did not notice any problems.
For all I know this may be a contributing factor but the NAS pc is plugged into a UPS Battery Backup which should have protected it.

I should probably write some simple notes as I do this stuff for just this situation.
The idea of creating a new user/password and group just popped into my head from desperation, and has got me wondering if just changing the password would have fixed the problem.
I imagine there are endless logs floating around inside my system that I would be happy to share with you.
And again I really appreciate your attentiveness.
I realize that this is freeware and we are better when we work as a community, if there is anything I can do I'm happy to oblige.

RushFan

Cadet
And I'll try to use less words in my posts!:smile:
ie: let me know what I can do to help.