Upgrade to 9.10 - Kernel Panic with 4 Nic's installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

We have been using FreeNAS for the past year to help us handle RAW Video Assets during Post Production. Basically a big "Bit Bucket" to keep assets on a Nearline storage system and off of the high performance SAN until needed.

This is the first time I am posting on the forums but have often found a wealth of information here, so thanks.

We have a strange issue when we upgraded our primary production system to 9.10.1 from 9.3.1 last weekend. Upon booting the updated OS we are receiving KDB panics during the initialization of our (4) Chelsea T540-CR cards. If we pull any of the cards, I tested the cards in a number of configurations to make sure it was not a HW fault on a specific card, the system boots fine with 3 cards. Additional system details are bellow:

Anyone seen or heard anything like this? Should I report a bug?

Many Thanks...

System Details:
  • SuperMicro SuperServer - 6038R-E1CR16L
  • Dual Intel Xeon E5-2587 V3 Processors
  • 512GB Memory - (8) Samsung 32GB PC4-2133P-LD0-10-MB1 Memory
  • Dual LSI SAS 9300-16e
  • (4) Chelsio T540-CR 10Gb Ethernet
  • Dual SuperMicro - 847E1C-R1K28JBOD JBODS
  • (88) HGST - HUS724040ALS640 Hard Drives

Sakuru

Guru
Please post a picture of the KDB panics if possible.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No pictures please, if possible. Logs are much better for everyone.

In any case, definitely sounds like it's worthy of a bug ticket.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to test the production system again for a few weeks as it is needed for a few major jobs. I am trying to reproduce the problem on our test bench system. Unfortunately I don't have 4 of the exact same Chelsea cards so it might not occur... Should have something by the end of the day.

@Ericloewe - Where would I find the logs this early in the boot up? Does it keep multiple copies of the logs or only just from the last boot? I.E would I still be able to pull it from the production system even though I have removed one of the cards...

Thanks Again...

Status
Not open for further replies.