9.10 and Skylake with SuperMicro

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricP

Cadet
Trying to install 9.3 Stable on Skylake (i3, i5 or i7) using a SuperMicro MB X11SSZ-TLN4F results in the usual
"Mounting from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/default failed with error 2." during the initial install. I've tried 4 different USB keys (and a variety of USB ports and didn't find any BIOS settings related to USB that I could bash). The 4 keys all work with other motherboards using 2/3 generation Intel or AMD FX CPUs (both on Asus MBs).
So if I install FreeNas on a USB key on an Asus motherboard, change it to the 9.10 Train and then put that USB key on the SuperMicro I'm up and running. The SuperMicro MB only has 4 SATA ports, and I've avoided using my SuperMicro RAID cards in JBOD - but I'm dead sure I could install FreeNAS on a HD on an Asus system and then move it over just fine.

So I'm eagerly awaiting the release of 9.10 as Stable train!

The SuperMicro comes with dual 10Gbe and dual 1Gb NICs. Using a client NFS3 mounting the FS from FreeNAS is giving me a 10x improvement in performance via Bonnie++ but I'm still a while from running my standard performance tests. With 1Gb networking, a CentOS 6 file server and CentOS 5/6/7 NFSv3 clients I'd upgraded the server from 3 striped 15k rpm SAS to 3 striped SSDs and had a massive performance boost on the server - but not much from the clients. The 10 Gbe is looking great.

If there is anything useful I can upload let me know. This is working out really well compared to about 2 years ago when I was testing ZFSonLinux and BTRFS on CentOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.