Trouble with 40G

micahtangelo

Dabbler
Hey crew,

So we've been tinkering with FreeNAS for a little while now to service a Media/Entertainment usecase similar to what @friolator has described here https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/supported-40gbe-cards.44475/. and @HeloJunkie has discussed 40gbe throughput a bit as well in depth.

I think there's something fundamental I'm missing, or something really wrong with my setup, because I'm getting some very odd performance artifacts.

System general specs:
Supermicro X10 system
2x E5-2650
256GB RAM
4x 2TB Samsung NVME drives, all set up as L2ARC
4x 512GB Samsung NVME drives, set up as SLOG
8x 3TB WD crummy drives in 2x4 mirrored raidz1 config.
1x 40G Chelsio T62100-LP-CR

Idea was to make it so that enough of the working set of our data (mostly video files) would live in ARC/L2ARC to make 10G speeds.

Internally, we're doing pretty nicely - hitting ~2.5GB/s on TB-scale dd's internally.

Getting outside of the FreeNAS system, however, seems to be stuck at about 3gbps. Iperfs to other 40Gb and 100Gb machines top out at 3gbps. Even iperf to the loopback tops out at about 15gbps. dd's to or from the NAS top out at about 250MB/s. So do SMB and NFS file transfers

3 Linux clients have 40G Chelsio or Mellanox cards, going through an Brocade ICX7750 switch. We've done a lot of part testing to confirm cables, ports, modules, switch etc problems are all ruled out. The Linux clients can all move files between themselves basically at line speeds.

The kicker is that we put CentOS on a USB stick, booted up this very same FreeNAS hardware with it, and were able to get roughly line speed out of the system. I'm waiting on one of our other techs to come back to me with the actual numbers from that, and I'm a tad hazy on the details of exactly what he did. But there it is, basically. What in FreeNAS could we be doing so wrong to limit this moderately-strong machine to 3gbps through into the network...

And fwiw, we're also working with iX to get one of their very nice TrueNAS systems in to serve this workload as the primary filer, inw which case this machine (or one similar to it) will become an offsite backup, that still needs to be able to perform pretty damn well in case the primary server room turns into a crater somehow. We will have 10 or 40g dark fibre to workstations from this offsite.

Thanks heaps

Adding some keywords so I can find this thread easily: 40g 40gbe 100gb 100gbe

zambanini

Patron
you need to tweak your l2arc settings. see https://youtu.be/oDbGj4YJXDw

anyway, I think you will not have enough ram for your l2arc drives. also keep in mind, that freebsd has still no persistent l2arc system.

micahtangelo

Dabbler
Thanks for the video, I'll definitely have a look at that. I didn't personally choose to configure such a large l2arc, but unless I've messed up my maths I think there's plenty of RAM for the l2arc cache, even if this was a VM workload - which it definitely isn't. I think even if absolutely all my data has in 4k blocks, the l2arc map would use ~140gb RAM when completely full...70 bytes per block, right?

But I'm keen to follow you here, if you think the l2arc could be interfering with iperf tests, I'll tune it away. Might even remove it and see if that improves network performance...

radambe

Dabbler
Resurrecting an old thread. I've got nearly an identical system setup here, also in a high-end M&E/post-production environment where the storage server is charged with serving DPX and EXR frame sequences + ProRes Quicktime media through NFS and SMB shares to Linux (and a few Mac Pro, iMac Pro) client workstations over 10G, 40G, and 100G.

Also using the Chelsio 62100 NIC in the Supermicro X10Dri-T4+ based server.

Client workstations also a mix of Mellanox 40g, Chelsio 62100 100G, and Intel X540 NIC's.

Also seeing iperf struggle to even get above 13Gbps or so between the FreeNAS server and a 40G or 100G Chelsio equipped client workstation.

Also seeing iperf struggle to get above 30Gbps when testing the loopback (running iperf -s and iperf -c both on the FreeNAS server each in their own SSH session).

Would love to know where you guys netted out with your setup, and also if the TrueNAS appliance was able to achieve anything different than the FreeNAS system.