Supported 40GbE cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't mean to dig up an old thread, but did you ever get above the 21Gbps mark?

indy

Patron

friolator

Explorer
Don't mean to dig up an old thread, but did you ever get above the 21Gbps mark?

Not really. I mean, we're able to run simultaneous iperf operations that do reach a combined 39GB. It's kind of academic, at least for us, because that's faster than we need, and faster than even a striped pool can handle with 8x 6TB drives. At least, in our testing so far.

We now have three machines on the switch and have been using it experimentally in a production setting. It's quite nice. On the FreeNAS side, there are 8x 6TB drives, striped. We've been able to read and write to that RAID at close to realtime speeds with 4k 10bit DPX sequences, which are massive. Any bigger than that, though, and things get slow. For example, reading a 5k (5120x3840) DPX sequence off of the FreeNAS system will play it back on our color correction system at about 5-8fps. What is interesting (I expected much worse) is that we're currently reading raw 5k DPX files off the FreeNAS box, into Resolve, and writing the color corrected files back out to FreeNAS, over the 40GB network, and it's averaging about 2.5-3fps. I just figured it'd thrash the hell out of the system and just die, like it does on the small RAID6 that's in the resolve system.

In practice, we'll have multiple pools, so that we're reading and writing from/to different sets of physical media. That should speed things up, since it doesn't seem like the network is a bottleneck at all here.

My next step is to do some testing to compare a plain vanilla RAID in a Linux box to the performance we get in FreeNAS. If we're using it with a striped configuration, I'm not sure if there's going to be much advantage to using FreeNAS for this.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Not really. I mean, we're able to run simultaneous iperf operations that do reach a combined 39GB. It's kind of academic, at least for us, because that's faster than we need, and faster than even a striped pool can handle with 8x 6TB drives. At least, in our testing so far.

We now have three machines on the switch and have been using it experimentally in a production setting. It's quite nice. On the FreeNAS side, there are 8x 6TB drives, striped. We've been able to read and write to that RAID at close to realtime speeds with 4k 10bit DPX sequences, which are massive. Any bigger than that, though, and things get slow. For example, reading a 5k (5120x3840) DPX sequence off of the FreeNAS system will play it back on our color correction system at about 5-8fps. What is interesting (I expected much worse) is that we're currently reading raw 5k DPX files off the FreeNAS box, into Resolve, and writing the color corrected files back out to FreeNAS, over the 40GB network, and it's averaging about 2.5-3fps. I just figured it'd thrash the hell out of the system and just die, like it does on the small RAID6 that's in the resolve system.

In practice, we'll have multiple pools, so that we're reading and writing from/to different sets of physical media. That should speed things up, since it doesn't seem like the network is a bottleneck at all here.

My next step is to do some testing to compare a plain vanilla RAID in a Linux box to the performance we get in FreeNAS. If we're using it with a striped configuration, I'm not sure if there's going to be much advantage to using FreeNAS for this.
The reason for FreeNAS is ZFS and that's really all about data integrity and long-term storage. For the short term, a hardware RAID card might be a better choice.
Did you do that testing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.