Upgrade from 9.3 to latest

random1234

Cadet
I am trying to upgrade several old freenas servers that are still on 9.3.1, but apparently web.ixsystems.com has been replaced by update-master.ixsystems.com for serving the iX crl file. I tried just pointing IX_CRL in /usr/local/lib/freenasOS/__init__.py to https://update-master.ixsystems.com/updates/ix_crl.pem, but apparently the cert format has also been changed because then I get:

Code:
~# /usr/local/bin/freenas-update -T FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE check
TryGetNetworkFile(['http://update-master.freenas.org/FreeNAS/FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE/LATEST'])
TryGetNetworkFile(['http://update-master.freenas.org/FreeNAS/FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE/LATEST']):  Read 2360 bytes total
TryGetNetworkFile(['https://update-master.ixsystems.com/updates/ix_crl.pem'])
Unable to load https://update-master.ixsystems.com/updates/ix_crl.pem: Host update-master.ixsystems.com returned an invalid certificate (_ssl.c:510: error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol)

Does anyone know if web.ixsystems.com will be back online, or if not, can someone send me the old version of ix_crl.pem so I can complete these upgrades?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

random1234

Cadet
The updates are still served fine on freenas.org, it is just the signing key is missing for them (was hosted at web.ixsystems.com). To save a manual update I just changed to self._requireSignature = False in Manifest.__init__ in the /usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Manifest.py file. This essentially just disables the signature check on the downloaded files so the update can complete. If freenas.org is hacked Im screwed I guess but it was just to get me to 9.10.2 where the current ix_crl.pem is in use. Once I updated to the 9.10-stable train from the command line it came back up fine and I was able to use the UI to move on to 11-stable and then on to 11.2-stable.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Good bit of hacking there. Thanks for the tip.

EJacobowitz

Cadet
Random1234,
Thank you for directing me to your thread. I see you also had 9.3 and gradually upgraded freenas to 11.2.

Did you wait a period of time before going to the next upgrade?

Did you upgrade the zfs pool each time and if so did you save the config after each upgrade?

I did purchase a low profile USB stick in preparation to just install 11.2 and upload a config from the 9.3 version. If I do the upgrade your way by doing it gradually how is the best way to switch my current USB stick to the new low profile USB stick?

Thanks

random1234

Cadet
1) No, as soon as it came up I checked to make sure the data was there and services were working then I moved to the next train and upgraded. These are production servers backing a large vmware cluster so I have to schedule downtime way in advance. I didnt have time to run it at each version for a while, but you certainly can. Once you get to 9.10 from the command line you can use the UI to upgrade whenever you want.

2) No, I have not yet upgraded the pool as that is a one way operation. I am waiting a few weeks until I am sure there are no issues with the new version before I upgrade the pool.

3) You can just do the manual upgrade if you want to switch out the usb stick anyway. Otherwise you can plug them both into another machine and dd from your old stick to your new one. Be careful you choose the right source and target device though so you dont wipe out your old one by mistake. Back up your configs elsewhere for sure.

EJacobowitz

Cadet
1) No, as soon as it came up I checked to make sure the data was there and services were working then I moved to the next train and upgraded. These are production servers backing a large vmware cluster so I have to schedule downtime way in advance. I didnt have time to run it at each version for a while, but you certainly can. Once you get to 9.10 from the command line you can use the UI to upgrade whenever you want.

2) No, I have not yet upgraded the pool as that is a one way operation. I am waiting a few weeks until I am sure there are no issues with the new version before I upgrade the pool.

3) You can just do the manual upgrade if you want to switch out the usb stick anyway. Otherwise you can plug them both into another machine and dd from your old stick to your new one. Be careful you choose the right source and target device though so you don't wipe out your old one by mistake. Back up your configs elsewhere for sure.

Thanks again. Ya I am a freenas home user, but I am well aware of scheduling down time on servers and trying to get as much done as possible.
Your explanation was right on the money. I had to look up a few vi commands and edit the file a few times before getting it right, but once I did I was able to upgrade. The upgrades took a long time and seemed to be stuck, but I just waited it out and they all went through except for 11.2 but that is on me. seems my current USB stick doesn't have enough space. So I get my wish, I will just backup my config (again) and install 11.2 on the new USB stick.

Just a final thought, I have been using Freenas for a few years at home and never had any issues. Although this may not be as intuitive or flexible as some other nas servers I believe freenas is solid and does the job I need it to do and with the community forums support is just a few clicks away.

Thanks again!!!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So I get my wish, I will just backup my config (again) and install 11.2 on the new USB stick.
You can migrate to the new USB stick by adding it as a mirror to the existing stick, then splitting the smaller stick from the mirror. Saves needing to do a fresh install.

random1234

Cadet
Since I had to repeat this many times, here are the exact steps to follow if anyone else wants to do this:

1) ssh into your box or open a shell through the UI
2) edit /usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Manifest.py (instructions for nano but vi is also installed)

nano /usr/local/lib/freenasOS/Manifest.py

Ctrl-w then search for: class Manifest(

scroll down a few lines to self._requireSignature = require_signature

change to self._requireSignature = False

Ctrl-o <hit enter> Ctrl-x

3) run the update to 9.10 from the command line

/usr/local/bin/freenas-update -T FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE update

4) reboot when it finishes and complete further upgrades as desired from the UI.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Once i dare to upgrade my FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 i guess i will just install the most recent version from scratch, copy Geli keys, import pools and re-do the setup from scratch. I will need to migrate my jails anyway and it is not that much work to do in my case.