Upgrade from 11.1 to 12 - problems with AD and NTP

Greg_E

Explorer
I commented in another thread, but decided I should probably post something new to look at my specific use case.

So I've had this server from 9.10, and upgraded to 11.1-uX and run it like this for a few years. As Microsoft keeps patching things I've been having some oddities and it is way overdue for an OS upgrade.

Throwing caution to the wind, I made a backup config file, and switched trains to 12, then told it to upgrade. First reboot wouldn't let me in, so I went to the keyboard and rebooted. Then the web UI worked again, but all my shares were offline. Went in and told it to resync with my AD and let it work while I was on a video call. Came back and still no shares and an error that it couldn't contact the AD. Also an error that it couldn't contact an NTP source. Th NTP is really odd because I have 2 GPS clocks on my network, and both were working and both entered into Truenas. The system clock was within 1 minute of network time, so the time shouldn't have been a factor.

I fooled around with it trying to get the AD to resync for a while and gave up, rolled back to 11.1 and everything came back to life.

Today I rolled it to the 11.2 train, everything working. Rolled it to 11.3 train, everything working. No errors since the last reboot at 10:05 am this morning (currently 1:07pm).

AD is running on Server 2016 and Server 2019 (depending on which one it hits), plain vanilla though the wizard setup.

So the question is, was there something in one of the previous updates that the v12 needed, or is there something broken in 12 (current)?

Things I did not do yesterday:

I did not use the console to check various AD status

I did not change user and password and try to join the domain again

I currently have a user copying files, so I can't try 12 again, and I'm not sure I want to try again. Think I'm going to go on to cleaning up some shares and moving things around (the other half of the maintenance that was needed). I'll hit this next week and hope that someone smarter than me can give me a few steps to check. I like being on current for security reasons, but obviously not opposed to running an older version if need be. This is a production server, so no running nightlies. I do have one backup server that I can fool with, but it was built on either 11.2 or 11.3 so not entirely the same upgrade path. Also I do have one other server that is still on 11.1 that I'd like to move forward, it too is production so I don't want to mess around too much with it yet.

Thanks for any help offered.