Updated to 11.3-U3 and it installed TrueNAS-12.0-MASTER-202005181633

mr.Magoo

Cadet
I checked the updates today and noticed that 11.3-U3 was released today.
I also checked v12 / TrueNAS to see if there was a beta available (which there wasn't) so I switch back to the 11 release train (yes, I know I did since it has a lot more information about the release) and clicked the update button.

After a while it timed out as it couldn't access the file/build and I guess this should have been a warning but the file it tried to access (in the error message) was TrueNAS.
Silly me, thought that was odd, double checked the release selection (still 11.3 U3) and hit update again.

This time it went through and the login screen looked different - because it had installed TrueNAS 12.

S--t happens and all that, should have known better, yada yada yada... I KNOW 11.3 U3 was selected, so I'm merely posting this as a warning to others that make sure you don't switch back and fourth between 11/12 if you intend to update the 11 track as it just might switch you over to 12 anyway.

mr.Magoo

Cadet
Question though... I have my system/boot on separate drives and I have not touched the pool after it upgraded to TrueNAS 12

Can I re-install 11.3 or am I SOL due to incompatibility issues ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
A bug report might be interesting. Changing trains has been known to violate POLA...

In any case, recovering from this should be as simple as choosing your latest 11.3 boot environment at boot. Alternatively, log in to the web GUI and set said boot environment to be active at next boot and reboot. Either way, once back in 11.3, make sure the default is set to the latest 11.3 environment.

mr.Magoo

Cadet
Thank you, that did in fact work (phew).

Below is a few screenshots from re visiting the update process

Update screen after a fresh reboot:
1589974433088.png

Switching to release train 12 and then back again gave me this:

1589974522934.png

Another reboot and the update still lists 11.3 and updating seem to grab the right set this time...

1589975540821.png