FreeNAS-11.1-U3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlangeMonkey

Contributor
Can you try with the U3 one of the suggestions:

Both approaches address the same issue - in the generated smb4.conf there is now a setting private dir = /root/samba/private/ that points to the directory where user passwords and other sensitive information is stored. In the past and by default that directory used to be /var/db/samba4/private/.

Hi BaT,

Can you please confirm that moving forward this is the new location for the private files? Or was this in error and this line shouldn't be present?

This will make a difference in how I will handle a workaround with a looming bug fix.

Thanks,

André Fettouhi

Contributor
I am a bit lost in this discussion so far. I upgraded my FreeNAS from u2 to u3 and have issues connecting to my CIFS from my Arch Linux box. What is the best line of action right now? Downgrading to u2 again or doing one of the workarounds?

Last edited by a moderator:

adses

Cadet
I am a bit lost in this discussion so far. I upgraded my freenas from u2 to u3 and have issues connecting to my cifs from my Arch Linux box. What is the best line of action right now? Downgrading to u2 again or doing one of the workarounds?
I would recommend changing boot environment to U2 as long as there is no fix for this issue (worked out for me btw).

KrisBee

Wizard
I believe @KrisBee 's answer from one of the other threads are correct: The upgrade wipes sambas password database ...

Correct in far as pdbedit -L -v shows that the password database of "Samba user" appears to be empty after an upgrade from U2 to U3. But the database files have not been wiped. It is an additional parameter in the global section of the samba config that points to a new private directory - see #14 above - so existing password db files are no longer found.

Adding the auxillary parameter private dir = /var/db/samba4/private as described above may fix the issue for you.

Kuro Houou

Contributor
Can you try with the U3 one of the suggestions:

1. This can be made permanent by setting private dir = /var/db/samba4/private as an auxiliary parameter under Services->SMB

Or, which would have the same effect ATM:

2. mkdir -p /root/samba && cp -Rp /var/db/samba4/private/ /root/samba/private/

Both approaches address the same issue - in the generated smb4.conf there is now a setting private dir = /root/samba/private/ that points to the directory where user passwords and other sensitive information is stored. In the past and by default that directory used to be /var/db/samba4/private/.

So, first approach rewrites location of the private dir to the previous place, while second copies all the essential files to the new location.

First approach maybe better as in the fix to this issue the location of the private dir is going to be placed back to /var/db/samba4/

I did the first option and that fixed my SID's and permissions

kdbaumann

Explorer
SMB shares work as usual after adding this aux parameter on my system. On client side shares have to be reconnected after this change. I failed to see the differences in paths yesterday in the evening.
/root/samba/private
vs.
/var/db/samba4/private

This worked for me on my newer servers. I had to also reset the password a few times.

I still have a problem with the older Samba server that has been updated since forever. I have to set all of my permissions to allow group access to those folders. Which in the past I did not have to have set. Ie; I had them 700, now I have to have 770.... This is a real issue. This server was long ago updated to FreeNAS starting back at V8 or so.

Last edited:

styno

Patron

BaT

Explorer
Hi BaT,

Can you please confirm that moving forward this is the new location for the private files? Or was this in error and this line shouldn't be present?

I was told that the fix is going to bring private dir = /var/db/samba4/private/ back. So option 1) is a better long term solution.

TooMuchData

Contributor

FlangeMonkey

Contributor
I was told that the fix is going to bring private dir = /var/db/samba4/private/ back. So option 1) is a better long term solution.
Thanks for the info.

From M0nkey_'s posted bug ticker, U4 is scheduled for tomorrow, which contains the fix to the smb.conf file.

cheezit73

Cadet
Hello fellows.

Please advise the best path forward for me. I upgraded to 11.1-U3 and obviously am having the same issue. Prior to finding this thread I thought I had caused it by some config changes so I restored the config that I saved of 11.1-U2 right before the upgrade. Also prior to finding this thread I randomly decided to update my primary user password which allowed me to access those shares, however I have many other users/shares that I have not and are affected.

Should I:

A) Wait for the next release with the fix and install doing nothing else and it will automatically restore all my other passwords (11.1-U3 running backup config of 11.1-U2 just prior to upgrade)
B) Wait for the release but prior to upgrading reload the configuration I saved of 11.1-U3 prior to restoring the U2 config (Basically how it was right after U2-U3 upgrade)
C) Wait for the release but prior to upgrading roll back to 11.1-U2 and restore 11.1-U2 config
D) Any better method I am not aware of?

I just want my system to be running as cleanly as prior to this mess and I appreciate any input you may have.

Thank you!

DAXQ

Contributor
I have three identical FreeNAS Mini servers, one at home, and two in the offices in production. The upgrade to U3 seemed to go without a hitch, till I tried to access a single share using a Local user to the freeNAS server as the only permission and access. On all three boxes, I have one wide open share and one share that is password protected with local user on freeNAS server so I have to enter freeNASserverName\user with a password in order to access that one share from windows. All the passworded users on all the boxes failed after the upgrade. Editing the user in FreeNAS and just re-entering their passwords and hitting save, started working again.

On the windows computers, I also had to net use /delete * and rebuild the maps to remove any remembered credentials. Next time I upgrade my test machine first, I will be sure to double check all user access before updating the production servers.

Just upgraded to 11.1-U4. That cleared up this issue for me. FWIW, I didnt do any of the work arounds, I just lived without the fileshares for a day. Once I upgraded to 11.1-U4, everything seamlessly went back to normal.

Thanks for the quick turn around!

Adrian

Contributor
Upgraded a machine from U2 to FreeNAS-11.1-U4. Password protected SAMBA shares working.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Just tried updating again from 11.1-RELEASE to 11.1-U4 and it broke credential login for SMB shares. AFP shares are unaffected.

I just tried rolling back to 11.1-RELEASE and problem persists. I tried adding the recommended aux parameter and restarting SMB service but it still doesn't work.

InQuize

Explorer
  • reverted to U2 -> samba was working as before and as it should
  • waited for U4 release
  • upgraded to U4 -> samba still works, permissions are correct

Status
Not open for further replies.