Update from 9.10.1-U3

Status
Not open for further replies.

balanga

Patron
I installed FreeNAS a few years ago and it 'just works'.... Now that I can have uptodate FreeBSD jails, I thought I would try updating. I'm currently using FreeNAS-9.10.1-U3 (d985cd1).

Can I update simply by selecting option 10 (System Update) from the Console Setup?

That would be too good (and easy) to be true ;)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I would update to the latest 9.10.2-U6 first before switching trains and updating to 11. Make sure you save your config before you updated just in case something goes sideways. Also if you use a USB boot device reboot your server before updating to rule out a faulty boot device before starting.

balanga

Patron
Many thanks... Just a quick follow up. Is there a recommended way to back up my USB boot device? I thought they might be an option in the GUI, but haven't spotted it. Also I'm not sure what 'switching trains' implies... If I update to 9.10.2-U6, can I skip 10 and go straight to 11.1?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Do NOT choose 10. 10 is dead and no longer supported. You don't back up your boot device you save your config. In the event you have to reinstall you just upload your config and it restores all your previous settings.

In the gui: System -> general -> save config.

balanga

Patron
The update went without a hitch and now I'm running FreeNAS-11.1-U1.

Can't believe it went this smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.