update 9.10.1U4 to 9.10.2 no gui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajedi32

Dabbler
The output you gave for beadm list shows that on reboot 9.10.1-U4 is what should boot (the R=reboot under the ACTIVE column), but you were currently on 9.10.2 (the N=now under the ACTIVE column).

Correct. However, despite that, after rebooting I was still on 9.10.2. I suspect that might have had something to do with the other message I got when activating 9.10.1-U4:
"WARNING: Failed to update GRUB configuration"

Your steps don't make sense. You cannot do a beadm destroy 9.10.2 if you are running from the 9.10.2 boot environment (which it sounds like you're saying you did above). You'd literally be destroying the filesystem that's mounted, and that's not possible to do. :p

Whoops, sorry. When I said "After booting into 9.10.2 from grub" I meant "After booting into 9.10.1-U4 from grub". I've edited my previous post to reflect that.

Ajedi32

Dabbler
Once you boot into 9.10.1-U4, go to System>Boot, highlight the 9.10.1-U4 file, then select "Activate" it to stay on 9.10.1-U4 after reboot.

I assume that just does the same thing as `beadm activate 9.10.2` though, which wasn't working for me. Maybe it would have after I booted into 9.10.1-U4; I'm not really sure. In any case, the problem is fixed for me now.

Sup3rNerdy

Cadet
Got mine back up.

Not sure why but beadm would activate the last boot environment but on reboot would still boot to 9.10.2

I ended up booting once in to 9.10.1-U4 and then cloning the same boot environment (9.10.1-U4) and after reboot the clone now works.

I deleted 9.10.2 from the gui once it loaded - beadm destroy failed via CMD and kept prompting me to want to use -R

BillCardiff

Explorer
# beadm activate 9.10.1-U4

Then reboot and you'll be back on your old boot environment.

This refused to work for me, but I really like having the knowledge of

beadm

My system at least refused to reboot into 9.10.1, even though the command tagged that entry as R - it would reboot into the locked up 9.10.2 .

I ended up stealing a monitor from one of my daughters - it's Christmas Eve, they should be sleeping anyway.

BillCardiff

Explorer
I am back to 9.10.1-U4 --- I probably don't *need* the GUI, but I want it. I attempted manual upgrade but my system wasn't having any of that. I guess I'll leave it here, it works, I'm going to stop fixing it.

S

sef

Not sure why but beadm would activate the last boot environment but on reboot would still boot to 9.10.2

Generally because the installation was interrupted somehow (either by a crash, or by rebooting while it's still going on), resulting in some files (but not all) being installed into the new BE.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why? I mean, obviously it's not ideal, but is there anything you can do from the GUI that you can't do from SSH?
FreeNAS 9.x is the GUI. There's little you can actually do outside of the GUI without breaking the FreeNAS components in some way. You'd end up with an oddly-setup FreeBSD install.

BillCardiff

Explorer
My system is fully set up. I had shares, jails were running, network connections were working, and all jails have their own front pages. I like the reports though, so was missing the gui but I think I could have worked just fine without it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Interesting thread.

chbla

Explorer
So, did everyone here go back to 9.10.1-U4 as I did and waits for future updates - or is there actually a way to get the update running?

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've upgraded two systems to 9.10.2 without issue but both of these are running on ESXi, not bare metal. Also my system configurations are minimal with one Plex jail on my main system, the second system is just for certain backups of my main system.

BillCardiff

Explorer
So, did everyone here go back to 9.10.1-U4 as I did and waits for future updates - or is there actually a way to get the update running?

Sticking with 9.10.1-U4 until there's a 9.10.2-U1

Alchete

Dabbler
Okay I fixed it. After booting into 9.10.1-U4 from grub (the menu which pops up on your screen when you first start the machine running Freenas), I SSHd into the machine and ran:

Then to update, I ran:

Code:
cd /var/tmp
wget https://download.freenas.org/9.10/STABLE/9.10.2/FreeNAS-9.10.2.tar
freenas-install FreeNAS-9.10.2.tar
This failed for me on the "freenas-install" step. I did this from the shell inside the GUI after successfully destroying and downgrading to 9.10.1-U4.

Here's the error I got when trying to update to 9.10.2 from the command line using your steps above. I'm getting errors in the python script.

upload_2016-12-26_16-27-55.png

S

sef

That's because it's
Code:
freenas-update
, not
Code:
freenas-install
. I, being me, always use the
Code:
-v
option.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's because it's
Code:
freenas-update
, not
Code:
freenas-install
Code:
-v
option.
Where does one get a manpage-equivalent with the options explained? The other day, I found myself trying random flags until I got the desired outcome.

Alchete

Dabbler
That's because it's
Code:
freenas-update
, not
Code:
freenas-install
Code:
-v
option.
Me being me didn't think to use the -v option. :)

However, "freenas-update" worked. I'm now running 9.10.2. Thanks sef.

Let's hope future updates go more smoothly, like all the previous ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.