SOLVED Update from 9.10.1 to 9.10.2 broke my install

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Haha. [emoji14]

But seriously; why not? I mean, I get that FreeNAS is primarily meant for servers, but is there any specific reason why you shouldn't run it on a laptop? o_O
You mean aside from ALL the evidence that suggests it's a very bad idea, from people that have lived the disasters?

Ajedi32

Dabbler
You mean aside from ALL the evidence that suggests it's a very bad idea, from people that have lived the disasters?

Sorry, I don't hang on these forums much so I'm not familiar with any examples of laptops having problems with FreeNAS. Care to enlighten me? I'd love to hear the horror stories. ;)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

Ajedi32

Dabbler
And the fact that it doesn't meet the minimum hardware requirements.

Yeah, I actually did notice that. Current memory usage seems okay though, so unless I start experiencing major performance problems or need to start running additional services I believe I'm fine for now:

LtXmKRH.png

@Ajedi32 I hope you don't have any important data on that pool.

It is important, but obviously I have backups. I would never rely on any one system to store my data regardless of how stable it is.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There used to be a thread with a compilation of disasters, several of them involving laptops. Haven't seen it in a while...

Ajedi32

Dabbler
There used to be a thread with a compilation of disasters, several of them involving laptops. Haven't seen it in a while...

Hmm. Well, let me know if you find it. I'd be really interested to see what kinds of disasters can occur with FreeNAS on laptops that couldn't occur with desktop or server computers...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hmm. Well, let me know if you find it. I'd be really interested to see what kinds of disasters can occur with FreeNAS on laptops that couldn't occur with desktop or server computers...
Realistically, if it actually starts working, it's unlikely to seriously degrade. Assuming the cooling system doesn't fail, which is a somewhat realistic concern when laptops are run 24x7.

Ajedi32

Dabbler
Realistically, if it actually starts working, it's unlikely to seriously degrade. Assuming the cooling system doesn't fail, which is a somewhat realistic concern when laptops are run 24x7.

Yeah, though even in that case all it means is that my box has some downtime while I go buy new hardware. A broken fan is unlikely to cause data corruption or anything like that.

tvsjr

Guru

chbla

Explorer
Same problem here after the update - very annoying. Does this happen often with new releases?
I thought stable means safe.. now my server is down since 24 h ours.

Ajedi32

Dabbler
Same problem here after the update - very annoying. Does this happen often with new releases?
I thought stable means safe.. now my server is down since 24 h ours.

Stable doesn't mean safe, it just means that lots of other people have already tested it on their machines and found no issues with it. (Or that the issues they did find have been fixed.) It's still entirely possible for new issues to be discovered in a stable release, once the update goes out to a wider audience.

Anyway, see my post on the other thread for an explanation of how I fixed this problem: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/update-9-10-1u4-to-9-10-2-no-gui.48830/#post-335115

chbla

Explorer
This solution doesn't work for me - see comments, it doesn't really make sense.
Everybody seems to go back to the previous release, so I wonder how to fix the actual update

Ajedi32

Dabbler
This solution doesn't work for me - see comments, it doesn't really make sense.
Everybody seems to go back to the previous release, so I wonder how to fix the actual update
Which comments are you referring to? If you mean what cyberjock said two posts down, that confusion was the result of a typo in my original post, which I fixed. (See my later replies to Cyberjock's comments.) Obviously I can't guarantee it will work for you, but those were the steps I took, and I at least was able to successfully install 9.10.2.

Last edited:

tom234679

Cadet
Ajedi32. Please read alot of the walkthroughs on WHY the requirements are what they are. Unless you do not care about the data your storing, your setup can easily completely and udderly destroy itself and all of your data. You really at minimum NEEED NEED NEED ECC ram for a safe install of freenas. Without ECC ram, if you get one bit goes bad you can take the entire storage pool and say goodbye, because it will self destroy itself. If there is one requirement that you should never ignore I stress that you use ECC ram. I have a hunch your laptop does not have ECC ram...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Without ECC ram, if you get one bit goes bad you can take the entire storage pool and say goodbye, because it will self destroy itself.
That's not really true. Or rather, it's as true as it is for any filesystem.

The difference is mostly that ZFS implies that the data has some value, so why on earth is it not on a server with ECC RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.