SOLVED Change Default Boot Environment while on ssh connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

keitalbame

Cadet
On update from 9.10.2-U5 to 9.10.2-U6, a boot environment warning mentioned that the boot used space was more than 80% but didn't mentioned that failed to apply the update.
I noticed that it didn't changed from U5 to U6 boot environment, so I manually set to U6 (later I saw that this was a bad move from my part) and reboot.

Now, GUI is not starting but I'm able to access through ssh into the box (plugins also seems to working ok).
I tried to access the cli while on ssh using /etc/netcli but I have this error:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/etc/netcli", line 56, in <module>
  from django.db.models.loading import cache
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
  from django.db.models.query import Q
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 17, in <module>
  from django.db.models.deletion import Collector
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/deletion.py", line 4, in <module>
  from django.db.models import signals, sql
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/__init__.py", line 4, in <module>
  from django.db.models.sql.subqueries import *
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/subqueries.py", line 12, in <module>
  from django.db.models.sql.query import Query
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/query.py", line 22, in <module>
  from django.db.models.sql import aggregates as base_aggregates_module
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/aggregates.py", line 9, in <module>
  ordinal_aggregate_field = IntegerField()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/fields/__init__.py", line 116, in __init__
  self.db_tablespace = db_tablespace or settings.DEFAULT_INDEX_TABLESPACE
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/conf/__init__.py", line 54, in __getattr__
  self._setup(name)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/conf/__init__.py", line 49, in _setup
  self._wrapped = Settings(settings_module)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/conf/__init__.py", line 132, in __init__
  % (self.SETTINGS_MODULE, e)
ImportError: Could not import settings 'freenasUI.settings' (Is it on sys.path? Is there an import error in the settings file?): No module named freenasUI.settings

I'm not able to go to GRUB menu and change the boot priority because my monitor shows "Out of range" when GRUB menu should appear (displays image while on POST and BIOS. Different monitor but same issue as I mentioned in this post).

Is their a way to change the boot environment from the ssh connection?

Not sure if manually changing /boot/grub/grub.cfg directly should be done.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is their a way to change the boot environment from the ssh connection?
Yes, there is. Unfortunately, I do not know how to do that, but searching the forums should yield useful results.

D

dlavigne

You can use the beadm command to temporarily activate another BE.

Please also create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org that includes that full traceback message and post the bug number here.

keitalbame

Cadet
You can use the beadm command to temporarily activate another BE.

Please also create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org that includes that full traceback message and post the bug number here.

Thanks, beadm solved my issue.
After beadm list, beadm activate 9.10.2-U5 and reboot, I was able to go back to the previous version.
Still, /etc/netcli still had the same error, even after I sucessfully update to 9.10.2-U6. I will open a bug to report this.

Since all BE are marked as NOT to keep, I suspect that for some reason, to keep the disk usage under 80%, a previous BE was not removed.
The second time I applied the U6 update, I saw the U3 was auto removed and the disk usage remained the same (under 80%).

Not sure if it was an issue with the update itself or something gone wrong in the first update.

But it is solved now :)

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.