PSA: Updates to 9.10.1-U1 are currently flaky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
#16178 Bug Ready For Release Important Remove kernel support for 10/100 ethernet hardware
That one's been announced for quite a while now. It's hardly news, affects very few people (who really don't care very much, given what they're running) since Intel 10/100 support is being kept because why not and Realtek 10/100 is being kept for historical reasons (rl.c is a gem).

Also, -U2 should be out by now.

Frankjacques

Cadet
That one's been announced for quite a while now. It's hardly news, affects very few people (who really don't care very much, given what they're running) since Intel 10/100 support is being kept because why not and Realtek 10/100 is being kept for historical reasons (rl.c is a gem).

Also, -U2 should be out by now.

yeah just saying some use old crap for management on sep vlans. when support removes, so does your access ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
yeah just saying some use old crap for management on sep vlans. when support removes, so does your access ;)
Hence the "Intel is being kept" part.

HeloJunkie

Patron
Same here, 9.10.1-U2 installed with no problems at all and also removed the LSI alert for 20/21.

rogerh

Guru
Guys, I'm here to clarify a few questions. 9.3->9.10 update failed for me yesterday. I'm able to boot into previous environment. And I was told it is good enough and I sit tight and wait for u2. This is what I have in boot menu right now:
D1256974_07580024_192650

My next step would be: selecting 9.3 stable environment and clicking Activate. That way system will be booted by default over there? It is safe for me do it, since I didn't have any configuration updates since failure.
A few questions:
- Some people say in this topic "I rolled-back", activating previous environment stands for "rolling-back here" or something else?
- Is so, I don't understand why some people have issues after going to previous version, since it is a snapshot (right?) it should bring exactly to the previous (i.e. workable) state without leftovers from the failed upgrade.
- do I need to remove somehow failed environment (see the last row: FreeNas-<blah-blah>)?
- Technically activating prev. environment boots system from a snapshot? Does it mean that my system will be forked? This is form documentation?:
* FreeNAS now uses ZFS for the boot device(s), also supporting selection and mirroring of one or more boot devices for greater reliabilty. The features of ZFS are also utilized to provide cloned "boot environments" which allow the system to be rolled back (or even forked) to different OS versions.
- Overall I would like to confirm if I can use (update configurations, install jails etc) activated previous environment without any drawbacks. And I will be OK apply apply a new freenas version (U2) to it as soon as it is available.

In answer to your question, yes I think selecting and activating 9.3 stable is probably best. And this is probably what people mean by rolling back, though you are really avoiding rolling forward into a possible failed environment rather than rolling back, as you are trying to keep your current boot environment.

A few thoughts on your other questions. Forking is what someone could choose to do with an update, it won't happen to your boot environment when you revert.

Problems with reversion to an old BE that could occur; when you have new zfs 'features' that you have specifically chosen to accept, so delay this until things are stable. I don't think this has happened since 9.3; some changes to grub cannot be reverted, but don't seem to have done any harm; and there are some risks with the nightly builds, so for safety it is best to stick to a stable train.

In your position, reversion to 9.3 should be entirely safe, and it might be best to delete the boot environment with the long name if it only resulted from the failed update.

Status
Not open for further replies.