Upgrade from 9.2.1.8 to 9.3 failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon60

Guru
I decided to take the plunge and install the upgrade file.

After file extraction, which took some time, it rebooted at some point as I had to do something else and could not sit and watch. About 30 minutes later I came back and saw a screen full of text scrolling up and telling me nothing which I could tell anyone here.
Apart from what I copied off my web address page
Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://192.168.0.28/account/login/?next=/
Software Version: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412090314
Exception Type: OperationalError
Exception Value:
no such column: system_settings.stg_guicertificate_id
Exception Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/sqlite3/base.py in execute, line 452
Server time: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 12:52:41 +0000

And then this which was in a scroll box
Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412090314
Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://192.168.0.28/account/login/?next=/

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in get_response
88. response = middleware_method(request)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_request
181. language = Settings.objects.order_by('-id')[0].stg_language
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py" in __getitem__
132. return list(qs)[0]
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py" in __iter__
96. self._fetch_all()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py" in _fetch_all
857. self._result_cache = list(self.iterator())
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py" in iterator
220. for row in compiler.results_iter():
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py" in results_iter
713. for rows in self.execute_sql(MULTI):
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py" in execute_sql
786. cursor.execute(sql, params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/util.py" in execute
53. return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/utils.py" in __exit__
99. six.reraise(dj_exc_type, dj_exc_value, traceback)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/util.py" in execute
53. return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/sqlite3/base.py" in execute
452. return Database.Cursor.execute(self, query, params)

Exception Type: OperationalError at /account/login/
Exception Value: no such column: system_settings.stg_guicertificate_id

Can anyone shed any light on what caused and why it failed

D

dlavigne

Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org that includes that traceback and post the issue number here.

avalon60

Guru
Bug report created: Issue #7119 created.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Try to install 9.3 as a clean install from the ISO, not an upgrade. Hopefully you will be greeted with a GUI when you are done. After rebooting it to ensure it's working fine, then try to restore your 9.2.1.8 configuration file. Your system should reboot twice. Keep in mind that the IP address of the GUI will return to your 9.2.1.8 specified address assuming you used a static IP.

avalon60

Guru
I have already tried that the other day, and it doesn't work. I started a separate thread about it not working.

I don't want to spend more time than I have to setting everything up yet again, so if the upgrade doesn't work, then I'll just stick with a previous version

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

avalon60

Guru
After I submitted a bug report yesterday, the reply I got was this:

Likely nothing we can do with this - not enough information to suggest a bug in FreeNAS. Suggest trying with a different USB device

So I have just tried with a Kingston DataTraveler 100G2, and after the upgrading of files etc, and several reboots, all I see now is the same as yesterday, with lines of text scrolling up the screen, and producing the same text on my webGUI as yesterday.

What I have noticed in the scrolling text is this line: freenas init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sl

Also this line:
django,db,utils.OperationalError: no such column: system_settings.stg_guicertificate_id.

So its back to 9.2.1.8 again now.

avalon60

Guru
No, I didn't go back to 9.2.1.8, instead I insterted the usb drive which I put 9.3 on previoulsy. I booted up FreeNAS, and finalised some of the settings, like adding CIF shres etc, and now I am running 9.3 just how it was in 9.2.1.8. Phew!

FreeNAS 9.3 is now on a Sandisk Cruzer Facet 8GB, and it running fine. So that is 3 different USB drives I tried before I got one that works!

sfcredfox

Patron
OP, so did you feel like this was totally to blame on the previous USB sticks, or did you have a procedural issue? I have had problems with some cheap 16GB USB drives crapping out on me and then system wouldn't boot. Just looking for ways to identify that rather than blame upgrade/FreeNAS.

avalon60

Guru
I can't help but feel it was down to the USB sticks I was using, rather than a procedural issue, which is one reason I stated what usb drive I was using in my earlier posts.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad you have it working now. As a suggestion, buy another one of those UBS drives when you find it on sale and have it loaded up ready to go if you ever need it. Or if you have an available SATA slot, grab a cheap SSD (not crappy quality) and use that as your boot device (when they are on sale of course).

avalon60

Guru
The only spare SATA slot I have is on a SATA 3 addon card by Asus, as my board has only 4 slots, and I have 3 drives in 1 zfs pool, and 2 drives in another zfs pool. The card has 2 SATA 3 slots, of which 1 is used.
Regarding the cheap SSD, I'm not sure but I think the smallest is 64GB, which I think is a bit of an overkill.
Also regarding another USB stick, I have already ordered another one, which was cheap:
Kingston Technology 8 GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler SE9H Flash Drive with Metal Casing
Condition: New
Sold by Wiziwoo Limited

Update:
I see that there are 32GB SSD drives, which are not to expensive. Between £25 and £32 GBP
I'm not sure that there would be any advantage between having FreeNAS on a 8GB USB 2.0 stick which is plugged directly into the motherboard, and having it on a 32GB SSD drive.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
The size of the SSD doesn't matter, it's the cost. If you find a 32GB SSD for 32GBP and a 120GB SSD for 30GBP, I hope you purchase the 120GB SSD. Not only is it cheaper but if you wanted, you could use the SSD for something else later on if you don't want it in your FreeNAS machine.

avalon60

Guru
I know what you are saying, and I would agree as its the cost per GB that counts.
The other thing is, if I do use a SSD drive,I have read somewhere that it would have to be on the 1st sata port, and obviously I would have to set it as the boot drive. No problem there, but that would also mean having to move the hard drive which now occupies the 1st sata port to the spare sata port on the addon card.
Would doing that upset FreeNAS because 1 hard drive has move position as it were.?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Actually you likely read my postings about moving the boot device to SATA0 port but this was due to others having issues during an upgrade where the possibility of the boot device changing as if by magic because of BIOS issues. I recommend placing it on the first SATA port.

As for if it will mess up your FreeNAS, no it will not (one of the beauties of FreeNAS), however depending on the add-on card you have, you might be limiting bandwidth to your drives on that card. I would recommend just attaching the SSD to the add-on card first and see if it works, including after an upgrade. If is works, I think you are set. If not then I'd recommend moving it to the SATA0 port.

avalon60

Guru
This is the card I have in my NAS box
Asus U3S6 Expansion card, which has 2 USB 3 ports and 2 Stata 3 ports.

I have had it for a while now and was using it in my desktop pc at one time, until I upgraded the motherboard.

I have just had a look inside my NAS box to check for unused SATA ports, and I have 2. There also 2 SATA 3 ports which have 2 x2TB drives on, and they are numbered Sata 0, Sata 1, then the remaing 4 slots, Sata 2, are numbered Sata 3, Sata 4 and Sata 5, of which ports 4 and 5 are used by another x2 2TB drives.

So ports 2 and 3 are spare, so I would be moving the 2 drives which are presently in 2 Sata 3 ports/slots to ports 4 and 5. The 3rd 2TB drive which is in or on the same zfs pool as the other 2 drives on the Sata 3 ports, is connected to a sata port on the addon card, which is sata 3.

I did think that connecting to sata 3 would make it run faster, but after doing some reading on this Sata 2 and Sata 3 business, I now know that it does not make it run faster.

When you read this it probably looks more complicated than it is

I am going to rebuild my NAS into a Fractal design R4 case which I have ordered, and then I will have all my SATA drives on Sata 2 ports

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
You will not see any performance gains between SATA II and SATA III connection using normal hard drives just because your data transfers will never get that high. This is why we tell people to not worry about the lack of SATA III ports.

wags22

Explorer
Attempted to upgrade via gui from 9.2.1.8 to 9.3. Started the process and put it in the background. Checked on it later and system did not reboot. Now I'm afraid to reboot after reading the stories on the forum. Any suggestions on how to verify if anything was changed for the worse?

I did look the root directory for modification dates. In /data freenas-v1.db and rrd_dir.tar.bz2 were modified. No other changes visible.

joeschmuck

Old Man
How long did you wait, how slow is your system, what does the console display show?

If you have waited for over 4 hours and the console isn't showing any action, reboot the machine. Of course you have a backup configuration file, right? I'm sure you do so you could always restore 9.2.1.8. You could also just upgrade from the ISO and then restore your config file and it should reboot twice.

wags22

Explorer
At this point I've waited all night, my system is pretty speedy with 2 Ghz Xeon and 4 GB RAM, drives are all 1 TB SATA's.
Console shows normal operational messages.

Yes, I followed the upgrade steps in the manual so I backed up my config before I started. I'm a lazy sysadmin, not a crazy sysadmin...always backup if possible.

joeschmuck

Old Man
LOL, did you say 4GB RAM? That will not cut it with 9.3. The CPU is fine however.

Are you using ZFS drives or UFS? As you are aware, UFS is not supported in 9.3 either. Just asking, I know some folks ran 9.2 with 4GB RAM and it worked but most were using UFS formatted drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.