unidentified Network on Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgamari

Cadet
I have the simplest of configurations as I have moved my server onto a network of 2 machines. 1. My Laptop and 2. the NAS box. There is no gateway or connection to the outside world. I updated to 11.0 assigned static IP addresses, and I can pull up the FreeNAS GUI on my Chrome browser. The GUI works fine. However I can't access the NAS drives on my laptop. Network Connections sees the NAS as an unidentified network. Can figure this out for the life of me. Can anyone please help?

Artion

Patron
Network Connections sees the NAS as an unidentified network
You mean the network not the NAS as unidentified network. What Windows version are you running? Are you using direct connection or a switch? Maybe you have to correctly set your Windows sharing options.

dgamari

Cadet
You mean the network not the NAS as unidentified network. What Windows version are you running? Are you using direct connection or a switch? Maybe you have to correctly set your Windows sharing options.
Thank you for your response. I'm running Windows 10 and I'm direct connecting from my laptop docking station directly to the NAS server via ethernet cable. I'll re-check the sharing options, but it appears that Windows is expecting an internet connection.

Artion

Patron
If there is no gateway it's normal for Windows to set the network as unidentified, and so treats it as a public network, and defaults to not permit network browsing. you have to change the sharing options for public networks to permit network browsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.