FreeNAS to send shutdown signal to Windows 10 PC when UPS on battery power

Status
Not open for further replies.

ces160

Cadet
Hi All,

I recently picked up a UPS for my FreeNAS machine. I have a APC BX1400U - AZ (its an Australian one).
I have connected it to my FreeNAS machine and it works as expected. I was able to set up the automatic shutdown when the UPS goes on battery power.
My question is, I have a Windows 10 PC connected to the same UPS and its on the same network (my network switch is also powered by the UPS) as my FreeNAS machine, is there a way to have FreeNAS send a shutdown signal to the Windows 10 PC over the network when the power trips and the UPS goes on battery power?
I'm completely out of my depth with FreeNAS so i'm not even sure where to start. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:

ces160

Cadet
Yes, you will need to install and configure network-ups-tools on Windows.
Thanks for the info.
I downloaded the Windows MSI installer 2.6.5-6 and ran it and I'm not sure if it worked or I'm just not using it correctly.
After installing, in my start menu there are 2 options "start service" or "stop service ".
When I click "start service" a cmd window seems to open but instantly closes.
I have no idea what to do and there seems to be no documentation on-line for Windows.

m0nkey_

MVP
You need to edit the nut.conf and upsmon.conf files.

Nut.conf typically only needs to be told what mode to be in. You will want this to be netclient

Upsmon.conf tells it where to look for the UPS. You need to add a MONITOR line. Example:
Code:
# MONITOR <system> <powervalue> <username> <password> ("master"|"slave")
MONITOR upsname@freenas 1 username password slave

Status
Not open for further replies.