Windows 10 cant see CIFs share

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce anast

Cadet
Recently, my Windows 10 computer cannot see my "FREENAS" CIFs share; however, my windows 7 computer can see it. My Windows 10 box used to be able to see it. I switched my Windows 10 box to a local user account and same thing. Windows 10 doesn't show the FREENAS share at all. Any ideas where to start?

I have enabled network discovery on Windows 10

I am running Freenas 9.2.1.2

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Forget about network discovery and just access the server directly.

Also, you should upgrade FreeNAS to 9.2.1.9 at the very least. Even then, it's an old version which is no longer supported.

bruce anast

Cadet
I can access directly from my windows 7 computer by \\freenas My windows 10 boxes reply with windows cannot access. Both boxes are on the same network. I have tried this from several windows 10 boxes.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I can access directly from my windows 7 computer by \\freenas My windows 10 boxes reply with windows cannot access. Both boxes are on the same network. I have tried this from several windows 10 boxes.
Try disabling windows firewall. I've read some reports that the windows firewall settings in W10 default to allowing file an printer sharing services over 445, but not 137-139.

Also in windows 10 client, go to "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center", click "change adapter settings", then right-click on your ethernet adapter and click properties. Then select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click "properties', then "Advanced". Select the "WINS" tab and select "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" and click "OK".

bruce anast

Cadet
Ok... an update. Its just one particular windows 10 box that can't see the FREENAS server. My other windows 10 box can access directly. Both windows 10 boxes are on same network. The only difference I can see is the one Windows 10 box that can access has not been on the network for at least a month or so... I'm using same account, same network.

bruce anast

Cadet
I allowed the NetBIOS over TCP 139, 445; UDP 5355, 138 and 137 did not work; however allowing Remote desktop/remote assistance turned on fixed it! Remote Desktop uses local tcp ports 137-139 and UDP ports 137-139.

I still don't get a "FREENAS" listed in file explorer; but if I type in the file patch I can get to it...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I allowed the NetBIOS over TCP 139, 445; UDP 5355, 138 and 137 did not work; however allowing Remote desktop/remote assistance turned on fixed it! Remote Desktop uses local tcp ports 137-139 and UDP ports 137-139.

I still don't get a "FREENAS" listed in file explorer; but if I type in the file patch I can get to it...
I've found network discovery in Windows 10 to be in a more-or-less broken state.

tvsjr

Guru
I haven't dealt with this personally (need to stand up my own WSUS server before I upgrade anything to Win10 Enterprise, so I can turn off the BS telemetry... /soapbox) but I believe Win10 is more picky about what level of SMB authentication it requires. Check your event log on the Windows side and the samba log on FreeNAS for any errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.